Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be leaving on vacation soon and have made arrangements for family to keep our two puppies. Unfortunately the place we are staying does not allow pets. :( (We made the reservations in advance - before we decided on getting the pups and they are pre-paid and non-refundable.) My parents are keeping them. I know they will be in good hands but I'm going to miss them terribly. (My mom has a lot of experience with animals and used to work for a vet). I was wondering about what others have to do when they go away????

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm sure they will be fine. They sound like they are in good hands.

Just think of it as a holiday for them too. They have each other so it wont be too difficult for them. They will settle right into a new home within days im sure.

we used a kennel for 16 days in September for Snoopy. She seemed to be ok but a bit bored there. She was a very well behaved dog once she got home for weeks and weeks - i think she thought, if im a bad girl they might take me back to that horrible place again!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't had to use a kennel yet, but I have a feeling if I found the right one Maggie would enjoy it. She loves other dogs so much that anywhere she could interact she would be happy.

I think she even enjoyed getting spayed :blink: because she got to stay in a kennel next to the vet tech's dog and they were nosing each other through the kennels. I've taken her back to the vet twice now and she loves going in!

I'm sure they will be fine, especially since they have each other.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
If we can't take the dogs with us, we pay a college student to live at the house and housesit. (My husband and I both work at the local college).

To board dogs here it is $18 per night per dog. I pay the housesitter $50 for each sleep-over night- the extra $14 is for watering plants, taking in mail, etc. We have been lucky enough to find students through the campus K-9 Club who are knowledgeable about dogs and stay with us until they graduate. Our current sitter is starting vet school next fall.

Neither of our dogs has ever been boarded.

You're lucky to have parents nearby to do this for you! If you're like me, you'll be calling every day! I hate leaving them, but it's alot easier when you know they're in good hands.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure they will be fine. They sound like they are in good hands.

Just think of it as a holiday for them too. They have each other so it wont be too difficult for them. They will settle right into a new home within days im sure.

we used a kennel for 16 days in September for Snoopy. She seemed to be ok but a bit bored there. She was a very well behaved dog once she got home for weeks and weeks - i think she thought, if im a bad girl they might take me back to that horrible place again![/b]
Thanks for the positive vote. I have considered a kennel, but thought maybe a family member might be a little more personal with them. I acutally think my dad with end of spoiling them and that will be ok for a week. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
We've had to put Floyd up twice so far... once for our wedding/honeymoon and once over Christmas. We use a day camp kind of place. They guarantee at least 4 hours of playtime (supervised, of course) and will administer feedings to your schedule. The also have "cabins" that are larger kennels that can house 2 dogs. The even have webcams set up so you can watch your dog play. Floyd absolutely loves it there, and the workers always say he's the cheerleader during play time. It is pricey though, but at least he can get out and play with other dogs. You could try and see if there's anything like that in your area.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Luckily I do not live far from my parents so my dogs stay with them whenever needed and I of course call to check on them. This summer I will be leaving them for a week (the longest I've left since I've had Gibbs I'm not so sure how he's going to take it) for my honeymoon. My parents will be looking after them and my dad will be sneakily spoiling them when no one is looking (he pretends to not like them, but I know he does).

~Heather

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you find the right kennel, it becomes more like Dog Camp!

I've used a kennel, had friends come in, had a housesitter, and sent them to Grandma's.

All work out fine, and they're always happy to have you home.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ernest has either gone to a kennel where the do board and spoil (34 a night) and he gets lots of walks and play time or we arrange to get him to his breeder where I definitely know he's in the best hands
ever and he spends time with his peeps.

I love the fact that he is happy being an only dog and also loves being part of a pack.

I'm not sure who is more relaxed after a vacation, us or him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts