Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone we have a basset, that most you already know owns the house . By the way she was a stray. But she so loveable. Anyway the odor she gives off. She gets a bath every week. Does any one know what to do about this problem.? Will listen very close. :(

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'd take Biscuit's advice and take her for a check-up (if you haven't already) to rule out a health related problem that can cause odor, like anal glands or a yeast infection. If she's healthy perhaps you're just bathing her too often. It's my understanding (someone correct me if I've got it wrong) that Bassets, being hound dogs, have a distinct smell that can range from very mild in some dogs to very strong in others. Bathing frequently can make it worse. Our Moe, who we adopted from a shelter, smelled pretty bad even after being treated for ear infections. I washed him, and washed him, and washed him again, but his odor returned faster each time. Finally someone told me not to bathe him so often (we were doing it weekly). Our vet said one monthly was plenty. We gave it a try and... Wonder of wonders!... it did the trick! He began to smell a LOT better with less bathing. If your Basset is perfectly healthy, give it a try... it can't hurt and might help.

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Yup, the only time I've ever given Francis a real bath was when he rolled in some discarded chum down at the beach (makes skunks smell like Chanel No. 5) I wipe him down frequently with unscented baby wipes or a plain old wet towel and people tell me he always smells clean.
As to anal glands, well, I do 'em myself! I feel it's helped Franny and I bond. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts