Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went several years with no dog fights. Now since this past summer there have been a few, the last being on xmas eve....
They are both fixed, in good health, etc. When I spoke with our trainer this summer, he said you can see it in this age range--cinny is almost 6 and Molly is almost 5.
I realize we have a hard combo of 2 femals and close ages.
Any advice out there? My parents have already said they will take our Lab if it comes to that. Hate to do that because 99% of the time, they are great and love each other. It is good to know though that it is an option.
Thanks!

·
Registered
331 Posts
We went several years with no dog fights. Now since this past summer there have been a few, the last being on xmas eve....
They are both fixed, in good health, etc. When I spoke with our trainer this summer, he said you can see it in this age range--cinny is almost 6 and Molly is almost 5.
I realize we have a hard combo of 2 femals and close ages.
Any advice out there? My parents have already said they will take our Lab if it comes to that. Hate to do that because 99% of the time, they are great and love each other. It is good to know though that it is an option.
Thanks![/b]

First of all I would try to find out what triggers the fight. Is it a toy that one of the dogs thinks belongs to her? Food? A spot on the couch the other one wants more, a cuddle one of them wants more urgently than the other.... and start working on that.
Most fights are pack order related, and they might just come to a stage where one of them feels it's now time to become alpha instead of the other.
Most of the time, they'll work it out themselves, and as you say, they do fine together 99% of the time, so my guess is that some event triggered the fight. Might simply have been the fuss and excitement of X-mass....

Keep a close eye on them during the folowing days, whatch for signals of beginning agression (tail between the legs, ears standing up, growling, hair on the back standing up) and try to defuse the situation by getting their attention with something else, but don't use treats as they'll go fight over the treats in that case. Make some loud noise (a empty coca-cola can filled with metal nails and closed up again thrown on the ground, or a 'throw chain') to get their attention. Only praise if the situation is defused and calm has returned.

One final hint: DO NOT try to separate them while they're in a fight. Not only might they hurt you as they'll go blind for anything else than the enemy, thus considering your hands/legs/arms as targets, with bite wounds as results, but they'll also cling to eachother with they teeth, tearing skin while you try to separate them.
Keep a bucket of water by hand and throw that over them, this will end the fight in a second.

Good luck.

Patrick

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem this past Christmas week. It's been over a bone or food. One has shown some aggression towards the other. The same one has even growled when a guest that was staying with us wanted her off the couch. She won't do it with me though. I reading everyone's advice and checking online..

maryf

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
We've had a few issues with my Bassets with growling. When I first got Lily she had a lot of food and toy aggression, but we broke her of that (thank goodness). She still however has an attitude if you try to move her while she is relaxing (I would growl too ;) ) Gibbs (my newest one) growls at Lily when he's had enough of her "childish" antics and when she tries to cuddle with him at bed time. A growl is as far as it goes then because my boyfriend and I always step in.

~Heather

1 - 4 of 4 Posts