Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gigi's been spayed and is mostly recovered -- heck, the third or fourth day she was back to doing those athletic Lab leaps over the coffee table onto the couch -- and we're making progress in our house training. Or rather, Hubby is. He's been off work for a few days and she's been his constant companion so every time she so much as TWITCHES, out she goes.

We had a bit of regression with King George, who thought since she was whizzing on the floor, HE could whiz on the floor, but he got over that (thank GOD). Now we seem to be having a power struggle over the couch. Every time he gets a chance, he gets up there and sort of poses like he's saying MINE! MINE! but then Gigi will get up there too and instead of sharing, she will get a bit rowdy and start wallering him and he'll get down. Every day or so he insists on sitting on the couch in Mommy's lap and pointing out that HE WAS HERE FIRST and I have high hopes that eventually we'll get it through Gigi's head that us petting George does not mean she has to come and interfere so we'll pet her instead. Plenty of petting to go around.

Now we seem to have an increasingly plump Gigi on our hands:

We were so anxious to put some weight on her because she was far too skinny when she adopted us that we might have gone overboard. How long will it take the hair on her tummy to grow back?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow...what a difference a little TLC and good dog food can do. Gigi looks like a brand new dog...and that coat...too bad there isn't a pantene for dogs, she would be the best spokesdog and model. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gigi sure is a pretty girl. I hope she and George get everything worked out soon. We have the same situation in reverse. Our lab was here first, but Dixie must be the center of all attention.

About the hair growing back, I hope Gigi’s grows back faster than Ike’s did. He had surgery for bloat along with all sorts of complications as a result, so he was shaved in a few different places.

This is Ike in October 2005 shortly after coming home.

Here he is in March, five months later. Note the bald square on his side. He was shaved here also during his bloat experience. You can't tell in the picture, but his underside was still bald too.

It finally grew in this summer. It took over seven months to fill in. :eek: Dixie’s hair grew in soon after she was spayed, though. I guess they are all different. Hopefully Gigi’s will grow quickly to keep her tummy warm with winter coming.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Great to hear that she is doing so well, poor King Goerge sounds like he has a contender for his throne. In my experience here, the female always wins, no matter what the size(wee westie). <_<

Eccentric Girl, so glad you caught him in time with the bloat, that is my biggest nightmare. :eek:

BTW Val I think you have just blown my theory on Steinars thread, as I see you have wooden floors :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aww bless, another chocy Lab and Basset duo like my pair. Jasmine, having a white belly, barely even looked shaved after she had her surgery and the scar has faded beautifully so you can barely even see it now. Gigi is a beautiful girl though, and will undoubtedly have a full and lovely coat again before long. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
And I have a yellow Lab/Basset pair. Previously a black Lab/Basset pair. It's a good combo! Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, we have wooden floors except for in the bedroom and we just haven't gotten around to yanking up the carpet in that room. When we discovered we had decent wood under the carpet, out it went. We haven't yet refinished the floor in the dining room /office, where that photo was taken, but I would NEVER go back to carpet with doggies in the house. Wood is MUCH easier to keep clean.

Gigi's coat has turned out to be very soft and silky and shiny, and when we first got her (or she got us, LOL), she was sort of lank and dull and I figured the first thing we'd have to do is give her a good hot bath, but she hasn't had a bath yet -- she just needed some decent food and lots of petting and some brushing. Her ears are all healed up and the hair's growing back, though it still has a way to go before her ears are all back to normal.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie has had two surgeries from eating rocks one in June and one three weeks ago. His tummy hair was just growning back in really well when he had the second surgery. Now the hair is slowly coming back again, hopefully it will speed up with snow not far away in South Dakota.
Gigi is beautiful, and I'm sure she will heal quickly.

Bogie's tummy after the first surgery June 13th.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Poor Bogie, what an incision he has! I'm so glad you got the muzzle for him, even if he doesn't like it. Can't have the dear boy getting into anything else!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Your lab pup is very cute. And, BTW, in my experience, whenever one dog is being petted, ALL the other dogs in the house must come and try to nudge their way in between.......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, Menzie, you're right. LOL It's not just a Gigi thing. Every time we've had more than one dog, they all demand attention when one is getting attention, even if that attention is so the dog in question can have a pill or a bath. :lol: The good news is, when I need to give George a Benadryl for his allergies, I've discovered that this works in my favor -- George can find and spit out the tiniest pill in the biggest treat -- I just give him a weenie with the pill hidden in it at the same time I give GIGI a weenie with no pill and he's so anxious to gobble his weenie to keep her from getting it that he takes the pill, too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I agree that the female ALWAYS wins. George should resign himself to losing his throne. Tussling and minor conflicts should resolve themselves within a few months. By then they will have worked out who's boss and if it isn't George (and I think it won't be, but you never know) he'll be happy enough anyway. We got Tally a year after Moe and she pretty much took over despite being 1/4 his size. They are best buds as long as he leaves her toys and cookies alone. Which he does... he has a healthy respect for the little devil-dog!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yogi (a boy) actually picks on Lady (a girl), but Lady's dominant over Yogi.

it's pretty funny. Yogi seems to pick on Lady, much like an extremely annoying little brother will pick on his older sister --- eg, the little brother making a clown mouth with his sister's lipstick and making fun of her current teenage crush :rolleyes: . and, when i catch him doing it, he honestly gets a look on his face exactly like a little boy who's been caught in the act.

and Lady asks for it, because she is *such* a crybaby. jeebus. the littlest thing will get her whining and running to me to run interference, and i think Yogi is purposely trying to elicit that.

otherwise, though, Lady's definitely the boss. it's very subtle but if Yogi comes up to me for some hugs, Lady weasels her way in between us --- stuff like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts