Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sorry for all the posts but has anyone else ever dealt with giardia? They are treating Barney for it he is taking flagyl and panacur, The said he had to stay away from any dogs for 3 months until he is retested. Does this mean he has to stay in the yard and cannot go for walks or on errands with me. I have never dealt with this before so I am pretty clueless. I know I am reall nervous about the side effects of flagyl does he need this medicine with the pancur? Is there anything I can use to replenish whatever the meds are taking for him? I know probiotics were mentioned to me. thanks for all the help I am getting on this forum.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Aww poor Barney!!! I'm so sorry you are going through this with the little fellow. ... but at least you now know why he has been not feeling well and not gaining weight. i don't know anything about giardia but have always thought that they were vaccinated against it in there first series of shots then boosted after that on their regular schedule.... at least I think that is what we have done in the past. I am sure that Mikey or Soundtrack or Bubbad can give you some advice on this. You know, we are pretty lucky to have those three on this forum!!!
A big hug and sloppy slobber to little Barney for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Awww, yeah, poor Barney.
I think there is a Giardia vaccine available, but it is not in the set of routine vaccinations for a lot of dogs. It's not used for a number of reasons. Worm is up to date on his vaccines, but I don't believe he's vaccinated for Giardia.

People get Giardia too, most commonly from drinking water from creeks, etc. And yes, Metronidazole is the right medication for it (it is an anti-protozoan antibiotic for Giardia).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to type on my little phone I dumped water on my computer so it is destroyed. I gave him some probiotics today he has vomited up the food two times today. I may switch him to natural balance Lid. The food he got from the vet seems like it has so much crap in it and if he is going to vomit it up again. I am going with a traditonal/holistic vet. I think barney sjould not have had so many vaccines yesterday and they want him to have more he has been vaccinated since he was 8 weeks seems he has had enough. I obly vaccinate my other dogs for rabies and very raely for other things. They have been 10x as healthy as many dogs I know who have been vaccinated often.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Now I could be wrong (maybe) but Giardia can be picked up in unclean water ,lakes and streams.A protozoa picked up by eating the eggs of infected animals such as beavers.Beavers are likely for infecting the streams or lakes. It keeps the bowels from extracting nutrients.Some say herbs may help but won't cure(I don't know which ones),I would think a dog vitamin would be helpful.They do not have vaccines for it that I am aware of. He probably had it before coming to you if you haven't allowed him in streams or lakes.They need the parasite med to get rid of it. People can get it ,the same way I suspect.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
vaccs for puppies should be no closer than 4 weeks apart.Page needs her last set at 4 months.So usually at 8-12-16 weeks some start at 6 weeks .There is no reason to start that early if the mother was vaccinated regularly.I had Esa done before breeding her.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Barney's probably still sick from the Giardia. He has been having GI symptoms for sometime, so may not go away overnight. Takes some time for the antibiotics to work. In humans, often lasts 2-6 weeks. Haven't had the experience in dogs, but prob someone here knows what a typical course might be.

The other vaccines are probably for other diseases, I'm guessing. it's all fine & good to not be vaccinated; it's just that there is a risk. and if he for some reason came down with the disease & it was bad or life-threatening, there may be some regret because it was preventable.

just read about a case of a 12 year-old girl who came down with polio. Very rare these days in the U.S. But her family had decided against all vaccinations. Now she will have to live with the polio & they regret not having vaccinated her. of course, there will be hundreds or thousands of kids not vaccinated like her & will never be exposed to polio or come down with polio. it is really a numbers/risk sort of situation & you can decide how much risk to take. risks of vaccination vs. risks of coming down w/the disease that has a preventable vaccine.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I know I am reall nervous about the side effects of flagyl
flagy is on of the most commom percribed medication for parisitic induced diarrhea it is ver effective and rarely has adverse effect

The said he had to stay away from any dogs for 3 months until he is retested
this makes no sence to my giardia is shed in stools unless another dog eats etc the stool of barney there is lno chance of spreading and even then giardi is a an oportunistic in that rarely does it cause a problem in health dogs it is generaly puppies or other that have an compromised imuunne system like almonella there are a large number of dogs symptom free sheding spores in there stools.

but has anyone else ever dealt with giardia?
Miariah was treated for it once with thre other dog in the hosue at the time two know poop eater and no of the other ever had a problem I thing the risk of barney spreading it are over blown especial if you clean up after him.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ninja had a couple bouts of giardia when she was a puppy, most likely from munching on bunny turds...yum! She was treated with Flagyl and Panacur, with no problematic side effects. She did have one recurrence, but has been fine (knock wood) ever since. At the time, we made sure to keep taking her to one certain area of the front yard to do her business, always picked up her poops immediately, and kept Larsen away from her potty area. I don't recall our vet advising us not to take her anywhere, but we avoided parks for a while and just walked her around the neighborhood.

Hope Barney is better soon!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The said he had to stay away from any dogs for 3 months
anyone that makes a suggestion like this with a puppy regardless of the cuase of the infection disease it a bit clueless

Position Statement on Puppy Socialization

American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
The primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life.1, 2 During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing overstimulation manifested as excessive fear, withdrawal or avoidance behavior. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.

...In fact, behavioral problems are the number one cause of relinquishment to shelters.3 Behavioral issues, not infectious diseases, are the number one cause of death for dogs under three years of age.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Awww, we hope Barney is feeling better soon!

No experience with giardia in dogs, only people. But if you for once second do not think the advice of your vet is appropriate, definitely see someone else!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I honestly recommend a different vet. I don't like all of the advice you have been getting, either. Also there has to be more effective and immidiate treatment you can get for your puppy. He's at a very delecate stage in his growth and needs neutrition.
Try probiotics again, simple boiled chicken and rice, lots of water, and if you can some electolite formula from the baby section at the store.
He can be around other dogs, but do not let them around his poop.
My mother in law has a min-pin who had giardia, and it was treated with meds, ate fine, and her other three dogs did not get it from her.

Good luck, but it can't hurt to call a different vet. also get some instructions in writing, that is going to help when it seems overwhelming!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was very worried about him not being socialized too.it was weird I am not treating my other dogs they said that was fine as ling as they stay away from his poop. I am calling a health center that has two vets that practice holistic and traditional.so there will not be pressure to vaccinate which I do not do for my other dogs only rabies and heartworm during the season around here . Thanks for all the help I just want Barney to be healthy and to stop getting sick aged he eats. These vets seem like they want money the 8pm bag they sold me was almost $40. They said because he was underweight this oils bulk him up quicker . He doe not seem that underweight to me.I am calling the new vet even if I have to pay to bring him in so they can see if he is on the most safe treatment

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should say I always vaccinate my puppies and then at a year then every 4years if needed after tittering. I just thought they got three rounds as a puppy Barney has had that now they want to do another round in3 weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Daisy had it when she was just about 10 weeks old. Yes you need to keep her away from every dog you can, and any possible sources. It was aweful. She was given her meds and I followed my vets advice and everything turned out well. It is from drinking out of puddles of stagnant water that some rodant may have peed in or something like that. It's nothing that you could have prevented.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My brothers frenchie had it and his vet did not say. He had to keep him away from other dogs. As long as they'd not eat his feces. Barney is doing great. His was caught early before he started shedding cuts and there were not allot of eggs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would notvwant to know how unsocialized he would be if I kept him away from all dogs. They said I did not even need to worry about my three other dogs contracting it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Intractable Giardia

My late, beloved Francis had the worst giardia and it took 3 sessions of metronidazole (Flagyl) and panacur with Prescription Diet W/D before we finally got a handle on it. I kep him on the W/D for the rest of his life and it was worth it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My brothers puppy has a very bad case he this has also led to an infection in the colon. He is so sick. I am very lucky that barney responded very quickly to treatment. he as much more energy now. I still have him on 1/2 vet prescription and blue food. I also started him on pro biotics. He has been around a few basset owners and they have said his weight is fine that you do not want a rolly polly puppy at 14 weeks so I am less nervous about his weight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts