Basset Hounds Forum banner

Getting Ready to Bring Bruno Home

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Shermie's Mom 
#1 ·
:rolleyes:
Hi everyone....In two weeks we are getting ready to bring Bruno home. So far since he has been born we have seen him every weekend. My kids are doing great with him since they have been with us for every visit we have had. Hes already taken a liking to my youngest who thinks that its her puppy...LOL Also we have had help in the problem with worrying about him and cats getting along. The people that we are getting him from have actually gotten cats and the puppies do great with the kittens. Now its just making sure that my cats will be ok. They are so spoiled with attention that the only thing we are worried about is them getting jealous because Bruno will be getting so much attention. *Crossing fingers* Hopefully thats our only problem.
Now onto the questions. Im not sure how big of a crate to get for him we are going to block of the kitchen area for him because its right at our back door and its also linoleum so that way if hes out and there are any messes it will be a bit easier to clean up. I was going to get a "big dog" crate but I read that you dont want to get one too big but at the same time someone told me that a bigger crate will be better for him because it gives him more room. Also, any tips on helping him get through the seperation from his mommy. I know its going to be a tough transition for him and I would like to try and make it as comfortable as possible. We were also told that on the day we bring him home to take him right outside to go potty and then put him directly in the crate so he gets used to it. To me it seems that we should keep him out and let him get used to his surroundings before putting him into his crate...Any other information on how to make this transition period easier on him would be greatly appreciated...Weve already gone through and "baby/puppy" proofed the house so that aspect Im not worried about to much. Its just like bringing home a new baby. Only this one has fur and four legs..lol.
Thanks for the help

~Tyler, David and Bruno~ :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your new pup. Thank you for planning ahead for your new arrival. I think that it makes things a lot easier. As far as crate size, we got a full size crate for each of ours. One of them, the wire kind, came with a divider that you could move as the puppy grew. That was nice. The hard sided plastic one, we just put a box in the back to block off any extra room. That worked just fine. I guess it just depends on if you want to spend the money on multiple crates. The puppies grow fast. As for letting the puppy explore the house so that it gets used to it's surroundings, I may be of the minority, but my pups were kept gated in the kitchen until they were house trained. Which for bassets, can seem like a long time. I have come to the realization that if a basset can't see you, or if they think that you can't see them, anything and everything they have learned is forgotten. I figure, if the dog is kept in the same area of the house, that is easy to clean up after the accident, and has easy access to outside, that is just fine. It makes life a lot easier for you. So what if they don't know that down the hall are two big comfy chairs, cats to chase, plants to knock over, tv remotes to eat, etc, you get the picture? What they don't know won't hurt them. As they mature and have control of their bodily functions, they earn more space in the house. Oh, pick up a couple of baby gates, they are life savers. The puppy won't be isolated in his space, at our house I had four kids lying on the floor playing with them all the time. But then they could leave and know that the house was safe from that tiny terror :D The pup learns that it is okay to be by itself for awhile, someone is coming to play again soon. Good luck with baby Bruno. We want to see lots of pictures when you get him home. Martha

#3 ·
One good idea is to get a blanket or towel that you can keep in the crate with the puppy. Our Basset loves his polar fleece blanket. Take it with you when you pick up the puppy. Have the breeder rub it all over the mother and siblings and get their hair, scent, and slobber all over it. Then your new puppy will have something to cuddle with that has familiar smells of his mom and siblings. It might help comfort Bruno those first lonely nights.

I would not give the puppy freedom in the house, or he will be using your carpets and floors to potty on. Puppies go very often. When you get him home take him out to potty, and confine him to a kitchen or small space in the beginning. Baby gates are a lifesaver. Remember: Wake up, take out to potty; stay out until he goes and give lots of praise and a small treat. Use the same words each time, We say "Go potty". and Bogie will go out and immediately potty. After eating, potty; after playing, potty; get up several times at night and take Bruno out to potty. Bassets are hard to housetrain and slow to mature so you will need lots of patience and praise. Don't let him out of your sight and don't expect him to be fully housetrained until around a year old. If you can't watch him keep him crated or use a leash and tie him to you while work in the kitchen, etc. This really helps in preventing potty accidents.

The crate will become his den, just block off large crate with a sturdy cardboard box, wooden board wedged in etc. If the crate is to large the puppy will use part of it for a bathroom. He'll need just enough room to walk in and curl up in comfortably and enlarge the space as he grows. Put the crate by your bed in the beginning at night so you hear Bruno if he needs to go out in the night.

Good luck with your new baby. You are going to fall in love with your new companion.

#5 ·

I have a million questions too, this is my first post! Our Tatsi was breed in NH and we live in NJ. She was my daughter's 19th birthday present from her boyfriend, OK'd by me first, ;) .
The breeder had us send up one item of clothing from the three of us, after we had worn it. No one said how long so we all slept in our t-shirts for a week straight, LOL!The breeder used in her "private space " the last week before she came home.
She was 7 weeks 4 days, which I thought was much too young, but things are going very well.
She arrived on Oct 14th and she will be ten weeks old on Weds.
The crate the kids bought was a large one that was boarded off like the rest of the posts talked about.
We give her the downstairs unlimited, (OK it's a tiny place!) with those wee-wee pads, but crate her if no one is there, even if I'm just taking a shower.
She has been amazing, she has gained 6 pds in 2 1/2 wqeeks, she was 7pds when they brought her home, no table scraps and she isn't allowed to eat in the kitchen. She is a smart allic and "pretends" to pee on otr walk, just for a treat!
By the way, she loves playing fetch, although getting her to "drop it" has not been easy. Then again, nothing worth treasuring ever is. Here are some baby photo's of my grandpuppy "baby" pics. I need to down load new ones.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/312079/index.html
Best of luck to you and as we both have new babies, let's keep in touch, Sue :D

#6 ·
You have recieved much good advice. I acquired a new puppy in August, Sherman, he was 8 weeks old when I got him. I,too, did the t- shirt thing with my breeder, so he would be familiar with my smell even before he saw me.
I slept with Shermie the first night (and many nights thereafer!!) LOL, and he has never whimpered in the night. He slept through the first night, and the VERY first thing in the morning I took him outside....in my pajamas, before his feet even touched the floor. He always peed first thing.
I don't know what your situation is as far as leaving for work, or if you are a stay at home Mom, but I took the first week off from work, sort of a puppy maternity leave. I spent every waking moment with him. Folllowing him around, and taking him outside to do his business CONSTANTLY. never let him out of my sight. It really paid off. He learned how to go in and out the doggie doors in 2 days. He has not had an accident in the house since he was 9 weeks old, yes, I'm not kidding.
If you have a fenced in yard outside your kitchen where he will be kept, my advice is to get a dog door, they are a godsend. Once they get the idea of where they need to go, then they can get there all on their own. I saves so much work I can't tell you.
Good luck with your new baby, he will bring you so much love and joy for many years to come. He is adorable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.