Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my baby when she was 6 weeks, and she is doing great! She is 7-1/2 weeks now. Even some of the top breeders agree that larger breed dogs can go home safetly at 6 weeks old. I guess it's all a matter of opinions, and we all have one I guess. My veternarian said that larger breeds are perfectly find to go home unless you are worried that they are not healthy, and have not done your research to ensure the parents health and background. As long as your puppy is eating food, and has been off mom for at least a week, he'll be fine. My husband and I used to breed doxies for 5 years, until we separated, and I didn't let them go until 8 weeks, because they are a small breed, and they do not grow as fast, that's why you keep them with mom longer.
The only thing that I would say is that my baby still cries some, and she has to sleep with me at night or she cries all night, and I can't stand it, it makes me too sad (and it gets annoying after awhile).

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The reason puppies should stay with their litters until older is (1) to learn how to inhibit their bites and (2) to learn how to interact with other dogs. They learn these skills from their littermates and mother. Allowing a puppy to remain with its litter until approximately 10 weeks is more humane for the puppy and safer for the new owner. A breeder who sells puppies at six weeks would be considered unethical by most animal welfare advocates. Here are links to a great website with information on how to distinguish responsible breeders from unethical breeders.

Checklist for the Responsible Breeder
Making a Difference: Being a Responsible Breeder

Because a six week old puppy will not have learned to inhibit its bite, every nip and bite will be a hard one, making the combination of a toddler and puppy even more dangerous. My advice: make very sure your toddler and puppy are never left together unsupervised. :(

Here is information on bite inhibition.
Bite inhibition is a learned response in which the dog consciously inhibits the full force of his biting ability. Most dogs display bite inhibition when they are playing together, and even when engaging in a fight with another dog. If a dog does not have bite inhibition, he could injure and possibly even kill another dog.

Puppies who are properly socialized learn bite inhibition while nursing and playing. When pups bite while nursing, the mother dog will train them by standing up and walking away. When pups bite too hard during play with siblings, the bitten pup will yelp and stop playing with the rough pup. Or the bitten sibling might leap up and knock the rough-housing pup over with a loud bark or growl. This teaches a puppy that playtime ends if he bites too hard.[/b]
from Bite Inhibition--an Essential Part of Socialization.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I know several top basset breeders, and not one of them will let a puppy go before ten weeks. This breeder clearly has questional practices......

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have heard 6 weeks is too early but thought 8 weeks was good. We got Sadie when she was 10 weeks and Max at 8 weeks and Max is defiantly the more friendly and sociable one with both people and other animals and he listens better. Max loves to play with any dog and has never showed any signs of aggression. Sadie is starting to show signs of aggression towards Max and Lita (our Miniature Pinscher), she always did when it came to her food or chew bones but now it can come out of anywhere for no reason what so ever. She is even getting snarly towards me when I try to move her off the bed or couch, has never tried to bite, just snarls at me. I don't know if it has anything to do with what age we got them or just their different personalities.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On thursday i'm off to buy my first basset. He will be barely 6 weeks old. Any advice for a first time owner? we (me, my husband, and our 19month little girl) are very excited he's really cute.[/b]
Hope you've read up about the bread in detail, else you are in for a BIG shock. Especially as most of your time will be focused on the toddler rather than a tiny puppy.

As other people have stated six weeks is far too young. I think 10 weeks is a perfect age to take them home.

Also Daisy Bell's Mommy - at 7 1/2 weeks old you might not notice and problems - they will hapen when they get into there chewing mode at 4/6 months and later on in there life - thats when you'll wish you waited for 8/12 weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the advice. I have been in touch with the people i am buying the puppy from and have been out see them. The parents are both healthy. Once agian thanks. Oh and i have read up on the breed. Did my homework so to say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes maybe, but that wasn't an option, the puppies were outside in the cold, and she couldn't have them in the house, I was going to take home her brother too becaue they needed homes, but I have two children, so my one little girl is enough, as I want to devote a lot of attention to her. She is not from a well known breeder or anything, but I wanted strictly a pet puppy, and I always seem to fall for people (and animals) that are in need of love, so I had to take her home with me. I will just have to deal with her chewing. I have done puppy trainings before with a friend who teaches, so I know all of the things to do to get her to know how to play, and what is too rough. I won't regret getting her so young, I know I saved her from freezing to death outside.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't wish to appear pedantic but there's a big difference between "buy" (ing) a Basset and ... well... what people SHOULD do IMHO when they bring a Hound into their homes to become a companion, to care for them as a family member and not just to "have a dog'. A Hound is for life: this could mean up to 15 years of commitment.

Whilst I appreciate this may appear opinionated, six weeks is TOO YOUNG for a puppy to leave the litter.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If someone is letting a pup go at barely 6weeks, then it seems highly unlikely to me that they will have bothered to do the proper tests on the parents. It is heartbreaking to have a dog for several years and then for it to develop a serious condition that could have been avoided if the breeder had done the proper tests. I think I would take the fact that the parents are "healthy" with a pinch of salt.
Daisybelle,
I don't believe that vets are the best authorities to give advice as to when pups are emotionally ready to leave the litter. A properly qualified animal behaviourist would, I'm sure, give you a very different story from that vet , as would most proffessional breeders who have had many years experience breeding dogs. I know several instances where people have decided to breed their dog simply because when asked, the vet has stated that the dog is healthy and of the right age. No mention has been made of breed standard or testing for various diseases. My vet has openly admitted to me that I probably know a great deal more about bassets than she does!!
Although I can understand your emotions because of the distressing conditions your pup was made to live in,I think in those circumstances, if the pups were in danger of freezing to death, a call to the SPCA would have not only helped the pups, but perhaps ensured that she didn't breed again and put other pups through the same.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Great point about the SPCA and removing *all* the dogs from an abusive situation, sadeyes.

I also wanted to make the point that someone who wants "just a pet" doesn't have to become part of the cycle of cruelty by buying a puppy from an abusive breeder, BYB or petstore. There are many, many lovely "just pets" available through shelters and rescues.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
We have a new privately owned pet store in town, opened by a couple here in town. They had a big sign outside that said, "puppies are in!". Out of curiosity I stopped in. They were bassets! There are only two, and they were 8 weeks old.
They certainly were cute, with the longest ears I ever saw. They looked very well proportioned to me (but what do I know, I have fiddled fronted Moose!)

But the girl didn't know anything about where they came from, or anything about them. I asked her if they really checked out the buyers, and she wasn't even sure what I meant. So I gave her my phone no, and told her that if anyone is interested in them, or has questions, to call me, if they want to. They want 800.00 apiece for them.

It was so hard to leave them, they followed my feet to the door. And of course when I got home, Bo and Moose sniffed me to death... :rolleyes:

Welcome to this site, you'll learn alot about bassets on here, we love pics, too! Enjoy your new baby, sounds like you'll have your hands full...

Sandy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts