Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback I live in Yorkshire England and have a lovely Basset called Betty who is 2 and a companion to our 10yr old Chocolate Lab. in the last month she has taken to just standing or lagging behind on our daily walks through our local forest. Is this normal? She seems to be more preoccupied with sniffing , yet only a few months ago she insisted on being the leader of the pack and would do anything to ensure Harriet our Lab did not get ahead..

Anyone had similar problems? Is she just getting lazy, or is this just normal behaviour?

All comments wlcome

Ria

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
My Basset's don't rush - remember they are hounds and like to sniff at EVERYTHING!. I always say that owning a hound is different to owning a dog (for a start they own you! ;) )
That said, Daisy will do everything 10 times faster than Harvey!, and she always has to be in the lead. :rolleyes:

My dogs when out walking have their head down and noses to the floor... it's all about the smells. They will also stand still and sniff the air especially on one of our lovely English frosty morning's.

Other breeds I have had in the past have sniffed of course, but would also look around and walk with their head up, not my Basset's.

Remember Basset's aren't lazy, they just make their own decisions as to what is important and deal with them in their own time.... unless food is involved then it is faster than the speed of light, naturally ;)

I take them same frame of mind when dealing with Basset's as I would a 2 year old childm make it their idea and all runs smoothly.. :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
PS/

Also, I take it she is happy in herself and excited about and enjoying her walks?, if so there maybe there is nothing more to it than 'thats what she wants to do'... potter along at her own pace.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It was painful to walk Lou. It was more like a drag...I felt like my arms were going to be pulled out of their sockets...from ME pulling HIM! :lol:

One day, I got wise to the fact that I had a harness on him, which gave him alot more pull than I had.
I bought a choke chain. Against my better judgement, I put it on him, gave a tug and said, "let's go"...he healed perfectly! I almost died! He got it!! YAY!!

We now walk several blocks without the nose going to the ground. He does have his favorite spots (my husband says that is where he gets his "information"), but for the most part he is happy to be trotting along at my side.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
I have found that most dogs basset include find the human normal walking pace more like a crawl. THat is they would prefer to be moving even faster. a fast walk to ligh jogging pace, At the faster speed they are less likely to be distracted.

I also you the dog desire to sniff and interact with the environment as a reward for walking with me. It is important to train the walking behavior, and leave it command in less distracting situation before taking it on the road. but I will walk with the dogs then release the to go sniff on their own. Followed by walking agin and so forth. But you do need to train a cue for each behavior. but when sniffing bevomes a reward for walking using premack principals you get more walking desire to walk and less desire to sniff as a result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts