Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya!

Was wondering if folks here know what exackly i need to do to get measured-- turns out that right here this weekend, there is going to be an AKC Agility Trial.

so my teacher said to go watch. and Ms. Sara told me to get measured officially right away!

do i just show up? or are there usually designated times to do this? i guess the event is both Saturday and Sunday.

also when my teacher measured me... i was in between! yikes, i might HAVE to do 12 in preferred.. no option to do 8 in... are there other tall agility bassets like that?

i should prob post in basset agility, but i'm so used to posting here!

thanks!
Worm

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
to be measured in AKC it must be an offical that is designated by AKC to measure this does not happen at all triall but if it does it is general at checking so you want to be there before the official start

AKC jump height cut off is 14" toughy see my avatar official AKC measurment is 15" USDAA 15 1/8 He competed many years in AKC befored the Preferred class jumping 16" and jumped 16" in usdaa in some tournament classes. FWIW Nadac give a breed excempt to basset and has a class llike preffered and performance so even if measure over 14: he could still jump 8 in nadac same in CPE if over 7-8 not sure which one veteran class in usdaa allows 2 lower jump height but it run on master level courses .

It has been a long tine since I have done any AKC on the basset agility group you will have more people that compete in AKC to answer AKC specific questions. theorrietical Many AKC clubs do not allow dogs not competeing on the grounds. You might want to check first.,

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Toughy competed in AKC before they had the preffered Class at 16" and earned a Excellent leg or two at 16" AND the only basset to Earn an Invite to the $10,000 steeplechase event at the USDAA world championships. I thing all the 16" jumper were male. Toughy by the way was between 15, 15 1/4 inches tall he could clear a 24" single bar jump Mariah never jumped more than 12 but Seeing she was the only short dog in her training class often ended up jumping the odd 22" jump that was missed in the jump height change without missing a beat. With Toughy a did have to take about six months of to train him to jump sixteen however and it certainly slowed him down, but he would knock fewer bars at 16" Toughy on a jumper run was very much like a precission hurdler ticking ever bar that he went over unfortunatley that ussually meant one or two fell.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! your Toughy wuz a tall boy too!

well my teacher measured me w/her device, if i stand tall w/head up, I'm over 14", if my head is low or level, i'm under 14". can't believe that makes a difference.

today we were at an off-leash park w/my pal Sasha who is a crazeeee gal! (she's the one who burned her peeple's house down by turning on the gas oven while reaching for pizza on the back of the stove). she is a tall basset too and runs & jumps everywhere... today, she LEAPT over the BACK of a park bench. she did hit it, but she made it over, in order to sit with her Papa who wuz sitting on the bench w/us.

i dunno how tall that wuz but taller than 16" methinks! she's nutso! she didn't think to walk AROUND the bench and then jump onto the bench seat.
metold her methinks she should do Agility, i bet she'd be good at it.

very kewl about Toughy and all his accomplishments! wish i coulda met him!

--Worm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts