Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, my José passed away from cancer in March, he was not even 6 years old. I always had a pretty sweet deal in that my mom (2 miles away, retired) came over every workday at noon to walk him.

My husband and I would love to get another dog. We would both love a basset but my husband also loves rottweilers since he had those growing up. We shared a good laugh at the thought of "making" a dog from a basset head on a rott. body.... picture the dog running with lightening speed saying "I can RUN!!! I can RUN!!!" Anyway...

We would love a dog but we both work & are gone from about 7:45 am until 5:30 or so. I don't want to ask my mom to care after another dog but it wouldnt be fair to have a dog inside all that time with no potty break. Our back yard has a cedar privacy fence, except in the part by the garage/driveway. Hubby built a "José corral" there which is a low (knee high) metal fence with gate. Maybe I could ask my mom to come over again and let a new dog out? Or come home at lunch each day (about 15-20 min drive each way) or a combination on alternating days? Maybe during the day we could have a dog home & put in a dog door, and more securely fence the entire back yard. Right now it's just so nice to *think* about getting a dog. I so miss José and have always had a pet. We also talked about getting a cat or two and one day getting a dog (maybe if we have a child in the future). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here is a picture showing the José corral. If you look REAL close you can see th horizontal black metal fence - comes up to about the bumper on the car behind the pond.

·
Registered
289 Posts
RIP Jose.

Have you looked into dog walkers?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The doggie door and upgraded fence is the best idea. I can't tell you how great having that is. It saves so much work and worry. That's what we have, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My puppy learned the dog door very quickly, and it made housebreaking a breeze. I am sorry about your Jose, I know how you feel, I lost my buddy a year ago. I think you need a new buddy in your life.
My 2 cents....
Sally and Sherman

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I vote for doggie door and rescue!

If you get an older rescue, you don't have to worry about housebreaking. What I would do is, when you know you're ready, take a few days off from work so you can help the new member of the family get oriented.

And maybe investigate some of the other houndie breeds. None are as hunky as those rotts, but there are quite a few who are pretty large! Plus they all have those wonderfully soulful eyes and beautiful ears. And even though bassets have such unique personalities, the houndie personality in general is just a joy, imo. :)

Let us know!

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is what I posted in response to another subject:

Baxter is 9 months old now and not 100% trained! Since we work away from home all day, our older Lab mixes are ok holding it in all day, but Baxter had to have papers and puppy pads down and we'd come home to quite a mess! What we did this week was to buy him a doghouse, place it in our chain link fenced in pen, lined the pen with cedar chips and put flagstone down for him and a special tarp on top that filters out sun rays. He has his toys, a nice soft comforter in the dog house, his water and he seems to love it. He has more room to roam, more things to look at in the yard, and shelter if it rains. Whenever we're home, he's in the house, including sleeping at night. He's even holding it in over night now. When he plays with the other dogs in the house, we have to watch him. If he runs over to the door, we immediately take him out and praise him when he goes. He's catching on very well, only you really have to keep an eye on him in case he forgets. He's only out in his pen when we aren't home. He seems very content with this arrangement and we don't come home to a messy, smelly house.

Maybe this kind of set up would be good for your situation. It's only when you're not there so that you can continue to interact with the pup, but at least he's safe and protected and not so confined when you're not home. We do have a door on it and keep a lock on it just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts