Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How heavy was your basset when you stopped carrying him?

When i first got Worm at 22 lbs, and hadn't carried around anything that heavy for awhile, i got a backache and armache the first coupla weeks. then i got used to it and not sore anymore.

but now he is almost 37 lbs! i don't know how much longer i can keep carrying him. does anyone still carry their basset when they weigh 40 lbs and above? i try to carry him as little as possible. tho the way the bathtub is, i have to carry him to put him in it. occasionally i give him a lift from the bed to the floor. but i'm starting to get backaches again from that...

wonder if anyone has ever hurt their back or the bassets from carrying such a heavy load :eek:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
When full grown, I only lift them when I really need to. Mostly I do upsies. They get their front legs up, and then I lift the back end. I'm the one that lifts them when it comes to it because I've always been freakishly strong. My husband won't even attempt it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Bentley was around 50 lbs. before lymphoma, and I had to carry him on occasion because of back problems. Yup, I'm convinced I think I now have inguinal hernias from lifting him (seriously hope not!) with an occasional backache. Now Annie is 46 pounds and I have lifted her a couple times, try to keep it to a minimum though. I hear ya, they aren't foo-foo dainty poochies!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charlotte is right around 45lbs and she gets carried around daily. We have stairs leading up to our bedroom where she sleeps and I won't let her go down them by herself. Plus there has been a walk or two where she just wouldn't budge from her spot and I have picked her up and walked her home (especially if its raining).

·
Registered
973 Posts
When full grown, I only lift them when I really need to. Mostly I do upsies. They get their front legs up, and then I lift the back end. I'm the one that lifts them when it comes to it because I've always been freakishly strong. My husband won't even attempt it.
I have to do front then back too. My husband is able to pick up Anabelle with one arm under her chest and the other under her butt but only just to get her in and out of a car. She is about 60 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I once had to carry Kermit when he was around 70 lbs. I can currently carry any of my adults except Ginger - well, I suppose I could lift her too if I had to, but not very far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I weighed Bernie about a week ago and he was 40 pounds. He will be 6 months old tomorrow, is that average for his age? Just wondering if he's going to be on the smaller or larger side. His mom was long and slender and his dad was real thick and stocky.

I lift Bernie to put him in the car (one hand under chest, the other under butt) and to help him off the bed. I'm pretty strong so it's not too bad, yet. Once he's full grown though I will have to do the upsies thing to get him in the car.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
weaklings:rolleyes: The only dog that was a struggle because of size was a bloodhound that went over 125, The toughest dog to pick up however is fischer cuz he hates to be carried.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Bernie about a week ago and he was 40 pounds. He will be 6 months old tomorrow
dogs grow in spurts so there is an extreme fudge factor involve. But Royal canin estmates that large breed dog at 6 monts are ~70% of their adult weight which would put bernie in at ~60lb adult weight.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Virga currently weighs around 35 pounds so I still carry her. I tell her to talk to daddy about giving me a baby so I'll stop carrying her around. :D But Doppler weighs around 65 pounds and the only way I can get him in the bathtub is to do the front feet then the back feet. He can jump into the car of which I'm extremely grateful!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It doesn't help that bassets can be limp like a dead body when you try to carry them. They would be great at a protest or sit-in.

·
Registered
562 Posts
We had to weigh all our dogs recently for flea and tick treatment dosages. Unfortunately our scale was broken, so we had to come up with other means.

So we used our Wii balance board. We have a game that tells you your weight.

Imagine me (200-ish lbs) trying to balance with a basset in my arms (50, 55, and 60 lbs) on a thick piece of plastic and having the game tell me to 'stop squirming'.

It eventually worked out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We had to weigh all our dogs recently for flea and tick treatment dosages. Unfortunately our scale was broken, so we had to come up with other means.

So we used our Wii balance board. We have a game that tells you your weight.

Imagine me (200-ish lbs) trying to balance with a basset in my arms (50, 55, and 60 lbs) on a thick piece of plastic and having the game tell me to 'stop squirming'.

It eventually worked out.
I bet that was quite the sight! I weighed my cat on the wii balance board and THAT was a battle...and she is only 12 lbs!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Our daughter will come over to visit, and she will come up behind Boomer, grab him so his back is against her, and carries him around. He just gives me a helpless look, and I don't help matters by getting his ticklish spot while she's holding him. He has ticklish thighs, and when I tickle them while my daughter is holding him, he brings his hind legs straight out in front of him. It's quite a funny sight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It doesn't help that bassets can be limp like a dead body when you try to carry them. They would be great at a protest or sit-in.
This is soooo true, especially if they are a "Flat Basset"

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our daughter will come over to visit, and she will come up behind Boomer, grab him so his back is against her, and carries him around. He just gives me a helpless look, and I don't help matters by getting his ticklish spot while she's holding him. He has ticklish thighs, and when I tickle them while my daughter is holding him, he brings his hind legs straight out in front of him. It's quite a funny sight.
Worm is requesting a picture of this, please! (poor pal Boomah..)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts