Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the Nationals I attended a seminar on Thrombopathy. Betsy has this topic covered but this is a reminder to those looking to purchase a puppy or considering breeding. Thrombopathy along with von Willebrands are diseases that cause bassets to bleed abnormally. Some breeders who say they have never seen either one of these in their lines may have carriers and do not know it,so,every dog used for breeding should be tested. The test for Thrombopathy can now be done by your own Vet. Go to the BHCA website to find out how to get a test kit. I am not going into great detail because ,as I said,Betsy has it covered. Bassets shouldn't bleed!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Miriam,for specifying that. Yes,the blood can be drawn by your Vet then sent to the lab.All you are paying for is for your Vet to draw the blood(maybe postage,I'm not sure on that)but there is no reason not to have all breeding stock tested. If you are purchasing a puppy ask for proof that the tests have been done on the sire and dam,ask to see the results or don't buy the puppy.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right you are Miriam. How I over looked that point I'll never know. So at least get the dogs that are used the most tested. This is a very accurate test. The vWD test out come is affected by a lot of varibles usually associated with how much stress the dog is under at the time the blood is taken. The numbers may not be completely accurate but it should be able to pin point the carriers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts