Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the Nationals I attended a seminar on Thrombopathy. Betsy has this topic covered but this is a reminder to those looking to purchase a puppy or considering breeding. Thrombopathy along with von Willebrands are diseases that cause bassets to bleed abnormally. Some breeders who say they have never seen either one of these in their lines may have carriers and do not know it,so,every dog used for breeding should be tested. The test for Thrombopathy can now be done by your own Vet. Go to the BHCA website to find out how to get a test kit. I am not going into great detail because ,as I said,Betsy has it covered. Bassets shouldn't bleed!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
That was a great seminar! Absolutely fascinating.

I got one of the mailing kits they were giving out and I'll be sure to use it.

The test itself can't be done by your vet, but your vet can draw the blood sample and send it to Auburn University in MS to be tested.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Miriam,for specifying that. Yes,the blood can be drawn by your Vet then sent to the lab.All you are paying for is for your Vet to draw the blood(maybe postage,I'm not sure on that)but there is no reason not to have all breeding stock tested. If you are purchasing a puppy ask for proof that the tests have been done on the sire and dam,ask to see the results or don't buy the puppy.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I checked it out earlier, there will be whatever your vet charges, plus the shipping fee, plus the test itself which is $100.

BHCA page on Thrombopathia

If both parents of a litter have tested "clear", the puppies can be assumed to be "clear" as well, but if either parent is "carrier" then the puppies would need to be tested.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right you are Miriam. How I over looked that point I'll never know. So at least get the dogs that are used the most tested. This is a very accurate test. The vWD test out come is affected by a lot of varibles usually associated with how much stress the dog is under at the time the blood is taken. The numbers may not be completely accurate but it should be able to pin point the carriers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That seminar was simply fabulous, wasn't it? Thank goodness there are people doing important research who won't hear, "It can't be done, move on to something else"! Thrombopathia is such a horrible disease -- and preventable, with testing. Now that it's available, all breeders should definitely take advantage of it.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
. The vWD test out come is affected by a lot of varibles usually associated with how much stress the dog is under at the time the blood is taken. The numbers may not be completely accurate but it should be able to pin point the carriers.[/b]
There are a couple different vWD test based on the breed of dog the genetic test is accurate. however it is not available for basset hound. The vWD factor assay it is not really that accurate at determining carrier status. see Temporal variation and factors affecting measurement of canine von Willebrand factor

FAQ's about vWD in Doberman Pinschers"These variations for concentration of the protein in the blood can make an animal appear to be a carrier on one day and homozygous normal (clear) on the next (which value does
a breeder believe?). This is why the protein-based tests are not as useful as they might otherwise be"

Canine von Willebrand's Disease"Note the major overlap between carriers and normals for vWF levels. This overlap accounts for the extreme unreliability of the vWF assay in trying to identify Doberman carriers of vWD. "

While the failures of vWD assay ate for Type 1 vWD and it it is not clear what type of vWD effects basset hound or even if it is another unidentified type given the difficult of the assay to accurately identify carrriers of type 1 vWD it would be foolish to assume that it is not the same for basset hounds as well. on clear assay is not that meaningful.

Also keep in mind another common condition in the basset hypothyroidism can intreact with vWD so that carrier which are not ussually affected can become so. Bleeding Disorders in Animals "In dogs, vWD is exacerbated by concurrent hypothyroidism, so that asymptomatic carriers may exhibit a bleeding tendency if they develop autoimmune thyroiditis and become hypothyroid, a common situation found in many breeds, but especially prevalent in Doberman pinschers. Furthermore, hypothyroid dogs may exhibit thrombocytopenia and associated mucosal surface bleeding. Clinical experience with use of thyroid supplement, which nonspecifically shortens the bleeding time in animals with inherited or acquired vWD and other platelet dysfunctions, has supported the efficacy, safety and low cost of this approach.

Thyroid supplementation alone may suffice to control bleeding in mild to moderate vWD, a situation analogous to the use of desmopressin (DDAVP) or danazol to control bleeding in humans and animals. Because of the important role of vWF in sustaining platelet adhesion, animals that are asymptomatic heterozygotes for vWD (as determined by reduced vWF:Ag), are at risk to express a bleeding tendency if some other hemostatic disorder develops (e.g., rodenticide toxicosis, thrombocytopenia, liver disease, hypothyroidism)."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts