Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is so many new member on the forum now I thought I would let everybody know a little about Mattie!

Mattie was born March 23, 2006. She was my birthday present. I got to bring her home on May 9, 2006. And I have loved her ever since. She is a little overweight, which she proud of that. She is very loveable, and her feelings can be hurt easy if you fuss at her. She has to have 2 pieces of cheese every night before she goes to sleep. She gets up in the middle of the night just to sit on the porch to see what is going on. She loves hugs and rubs. She has to have milk bones after her dinner, and gets upset if she don't have them. Her and her brother (the cat) has to eat dinner together in the evening too.. She loves to rub her butt on the fence and the bush outside.

She hates going to the vet! But she loves to take car rides and trys to sit in between the front seat. People say when she is in the car "who's driving the hound or you?" LOL!! She loves attention and for people to make over her.

That just a little about my beloved hound!! I just want everybody to know a little about her!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
She sounds like a real character. It always amuses me to hear about quirks dogs have. My mutt refuses to eat before 6 PM and has to have treats in his food (which we hide his pill in). He likes to stand with his head out the dog door and his butt inside.

Our vet uses easy cheese to distract the dogs so they love the vet.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bassets seem to like attention, and they do attract it! Last night my daughter came in from walking Cannoli, she was fuming because somebody asked her if Cannoli was a Beagle

Cannoli loves the car, we are lucky in fact that all three of our dogs do. If they happen to slip out of the door all we have to do to catch them is open the car door like we are going somewhere and they all jump in.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
LuciaB, I get the beagle comment all the time! Molly's ears are shorter than what people associate with a basset and because she's still a baby, they are still growing. Beagles are adorable and all that, but I am with your daughter...I get a bit indignant when people don't recognize her as a basset. It's getting better though, she looks more basset-ish every day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bassets seem to like attention, and they do attract it! Last night my daughter came in from walking Cannoli, she was fuming because somebody asked her if Cannoli was a Beagle

Cannoli loves the car, we are lucky in fact that all three of our dogs do. If they happen to slip out of the door all we have to do to catch them is open the car door like we are going somewhere and they all jump in.
Basset do attract the attention.. When Mattie is having one of her porch sitting spells cars will go by pointing and waving at Mattie. She just sits and looks at them with her sad eyes!!

And they always give her a bone at the bank and they ask where she is if I don't take her!! it is so funny!!

I would be mad if someone thought Mattie was a beagle too. But with Mattie you can tell that she is a basset hound!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She sounds like a real character. It always amuses me to hear about quirks dogs have. My mutt refuses to eat before 6 PM and has to have treats in his food (which we hide his pill in). He likes to stand with his head out the dog door and his butt inside.

Our vet uses easy cheese to distract the dogs so they love the vet.
That's too funny about him standing with his head out the doggie door.. I guess he just don't want to commit to going outside, rather see which side is better!! LOL!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
We went for a ride the other day and as we were pulling up to a stop sign my daughter urgently asks me to roll down the window in the back. I roll it down, and hear a chorus of "Oh!" There was a group of kids in one of the yards and as soon as the window went down Cannoli stuck her head out to say hi! My daughter got a big kick out of that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bassets get so much attention because they are clearly far superior to other dogs :p

The other day I was going to the dog park and both the dogs were in back and the window was down a bit and I'm at a stoplight and all of a sudden I hear "I LOVE YOUR DOGS!" and the girl in car next to me was waving at the dogs frantically, it was so funny!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Add us to the attention squad. As far as I know, there are very few bassets in our town, so Boomer gets a lot of attention. Altho, I do get a little annoyed at the "Oh, is that a beagle?" comments.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Every time we go to Petsmart, it takes 10 minutes to walk 20 feet. Everyone has to stop and say hi. I thought it was just because Molly is a baby, but according to you guys, it's simply because they are bassets. I guess I'll just have to get used to it :)

·
Registered
297 Posts

Ha ha... we get the beagle comment all the time. That or they recognize our rescue Bo as a basset but then ask what kind of dog our girl is. Our girl is a show dog and coforms much more closely to the standard than our rescue but I think so many people are used to seeing more beagle-type bassets that they don't recognize a more correct one when they see it. Funny too since our boy may in fact be a bagel (beagle/basset mix).

Our dogs are very different. Bo our rescue is a rather nervous boy who is afraid of his own shadow at times but since we have Roxie here he's much calmer... she has a very calming affect on other dogs and people which is why I think she's so good at her therapy dog work. Bo came from an abusive situation and has issues with water (an obsessive compulsion to drink... and yes we have had the full battery of tests run and then some) which causes him to have some bladder control issues. However he is the sweetest boy on the face of the planet (aside from to his little sister Raven who he's not quite thrilled about just yet).

Roxie as I said is our first show girl, therapy dog and is also a spunky sassy girl when she wants to be and has such a wonderful loving personality I don't know what we'll ever do when we lose her. She will definately be one of the ones who will take a huge part of my heart with her when she goes. She saved us from near disaster after losing our previous girl and she is a truly stunning dog to watch show as she really loves being in the ring and being adored by all the onlookers and the judge. I made the heart wrenching decision to breed her in the hopes that she would be able to pass even a peice of herself on to her puppies so that we might be able to carry on some of this little miracle dog after she is gone.

We definately hit the jackpot with our little Raven, who is not only the spitting image of Roxie's father (one of my favorite dogs in the world aside from Roxie) and her but also has so many of Roxie manerisms and traits it is just scary... and from a show and breeding stand point I got everything I was looking to improve on her without losing anything I didn't want to.

We also ended up with two other lovely puppies who now reside at my inlaws home and I don't think I've ever seen them happier. They are two completely different personalities to be sure... Holly is a sweet little love bug who is very sensitive but a beauty for sure... she takes quite a bit before standing up for herself. Morgan on the other hand is a very take charge kind of girl, she'll snuggle as well but she is a headstrong one and I have already warned them that they will need to take the reins early with her as she will be testing them every step of the way... she is wicked smart and likes to see exactly what she can get away with. They both (or I should say all 3) though are very loving but just too darn smart for their own good.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bassets get so much attention because they are clearly far superior to other dogs :p

The other day I was going to the dog park and both the dogs were in back and the window was down a bit and I'm at a stoplight and all of a sudden I hear "I LOVE YOUR DOGS!" and the girl in car next to me was waving at the dogs frantically, it was so funny!
You're right... often it takes ages to walk mine if I go somewhere that people haven't seen them before..several times people have taken photos of them and of course as soon as Lottie sees a camera or phone aiming at her, up she sits in her meercat pose!!!!

Mattie sounds as adorable as all of our Bassets are. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Last night my boyfriend was wrestling with Cannoli while I was cooking and my daughter was doing homework, my daughter asked "Can you imagine what our life would be like without Cannoli?" The two grown ups answered in unison "Quiet!" LOL Yes life would be quieter without the basset, but certainly not nearly as fun.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I find the beagle thing ironic because my mutt is clearly (in my opinion) mostly beagle and corgi but many people refer to him as a "basset mix".

Anabelle has yet to be mistaken for anything other than a basset.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smitten21, Bo is very lucky that he has a very loving home and a safe place now and he is lucky to have two lovely sister too. I just don't understand how people can be so mean and cruel to a dog or any animal for that matter.

My husband and I always say.. when you get a animal (no matter if it is a hound or not) they are a part of your family and should be treated like any other family member, with respect and love.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The response I get most with Nitro is "...and what kind of dog is he" as if people have never heard of a basset before! The next question I get is "does he step on his ears", which he does, all the time. He loves the kids on my street. It is a half mile round trip to the corner, which takes us 40 minutes because he has to stop and say hi to everyone, not to mention smell EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I just read this quote about bassets and thought it very apt:

"Basset hounds will follow a scent until its owner dies, showing up just in time for the viewing."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts