Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George and Gigi are getting along pretty well and every now and then they get to roughhousing. So far the only time he's really gotten annoyed is when she took his pizza last night -- George is very particular about his food :lol: I think he really likes having company and someone to play with but he also needs his one on one time with us so he won't feel neglected. Last night he squirmed under the computer desk between my feet and stayed there for a long time while I petted him and Gigi napped on the couch. Poor dear. He's used to being an only. WAS used to it. :(

J

·
0 Posts
When we adopted Molly, I felt bad for our lab as well. She had been the queen of the house and then suddenly was not. She did have an accident in the house about 2 weeks after we got MOlly. It seemed pretty deliberate in that she had NEVER had an accident, had been out, was not ill, etc. Kind of like she was telling me that this other dog was great for a visit but now she needed to go.
But, that was it. They have had a handful of fights, determining who is the alpha, in fact they had one last Friday so now they are now super obidence training to remind them that I am the alpha....
I love this story. It really is a success story for a dog who seems to have been homeless!

C

·
0 Posts
This is such an awesome story! Thanks to people like you, these precious babies can end up having a happy loving home!
Cheers to you.. and George of course!
Keep the pics comong, they are great!
Annie

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am glad everything is working out so well. Copper was a little jeolous when we got the girls but we made extra time for him and now everything is great.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:) aaaaw! they're becoming friends!

George may have his moments during the adjustment but, in the long run, he'll be thrilled to have a four legger to commiserate with. all in all, it sounds like it's working out very, very well. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do worry about Gigi getting too rough with George when they play. He's 8 1/2 and I think she's probably only about a year (I'm hoping the vet will have a clearer idea about that) and she's so much bigger than he is. I've been discouraging much playing although George doesn't seem to mind. Anyone with a Lab and a basset got advice for me? Is it okay to let them work it out between them? The last dog we had with George was Rosie and the two of them were about equal in size -- and she was very submissive and let him be the boss without any argument. They didn't do much roughhousing.
Here's a closeup of Gigi, including her poor fly-bitten ear. It is a little better, though.

Isn't she shiny? :lol:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Owch, that ear looks sore. It kinda looks like a burn. I'm so happy you have her and she is going to recieve medical treatment, care, and love. What the heck are those scars? A cat fight, abuse? Please post back after the vet visit, I'm curious to the treatment of that ear.

She really is shiny and very pretty, has a sort of regal look about her. Queen GiGi.
Joan

J

·
0 Posts
We have a Lab and Molly, our Basset. When they were younger, they played all the time. Frankly, when Molly is standing up on her back legs, they would play this way, kind of almost hugging each other, she is as long as our Lab. Molly has learned to play fetch from Cinny. When we adpoted Molly she would not fetch. After watching the Lab fetching ability, she will fetch a ball all day right along with Cinny. It is also great with walks. Molly never pulls the flat basset. She keeps right up with CInny who will go forever. They kind of motivate each other it seems.
They don't play like the did, they are 5 years old and 4 years old. Over the past 6 months, the play has really decreased.
In terms of getting along, we have certainly had our challenges due to their ages being so close and probably that whole 2 female challenge. Just last Friday, they had a fight. So as I have posted earlier, they are now on super obedience--that is what our trainer has told me to do when they fight to remind them they are not bosses, I am.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The scars don't show in person as clearly as the photo, so I didn't really register them until you mentioned it. I don't know what they're from, of course, since she just turned up here, but I'll ask the vet about that, too. She was so terrified of us at first and jumps at every sound that I'm afraid it was abuse. The ears are definitely flies, though. We had that problem with a couple of our pit bulls and it took a lot of trial and error before we found something that would keep the flies off. They'd be outside only for a short time and the blasted flies would have them eaten UP in no time. Thank goodness flies don't bother George's ears. We can buy this roll-on stuff at the farm supply store that repels the flies but doesn't bother the dog and you just draw a line around their ears with the roll-on. First you have to heal the existing sore, though, and that's what's the problem. The stuff I used to use on our other dogs doesn't seem to work on her, so back to the drawing board until the vet gets a look at her. He'll have a better idea, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, we haven't had any fights. Just a couple of times when George gets fed up with her, he'll sort of grumble at her, and that seems to do the trick. She's actually pretty obedient and when I say NO sharply, she usually stops whatever she's doing. George doesn't do Flat Basset as much as he used to, either. He wants to keep up. LOL I think they'll be good for each other. He'll calm her down and she'll stir him up.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:) oh my, she's pretty!

it's my experience that labs really *really* like to play and are pretty athletic. Yogi is going on 8 and can still do some pretty acrobatic stuff, like jumping fences :shock: (which i finally cured him of just a few months ago) and jumping on and off of my back deck at the highest point, which is well over 4' high --- closer to 5.

with George being older, you might want to schedule some time to play with GiGi alone --- that is, in some activity when George is pooped. she's a retriever, remember that, and retrievers really do like to retrieve stuff!

in fact, Yogi used to retrieve me! :lol: really!

so a ball goes a long way with them.

she's just a beautiful girl!

and your floors are great! i've always wanted to have old wood floors like that. lucky you!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gigi is systematically destroying all of George's toys -- which he didn't have any real interest in until she showed up, LOL -- so I'm obviously going to have to buy her some Lab-proof toys of her own. We have started learning "fetch" and as I told her, "Retrieve! You're a retriever!" I've already figured out I'm going to have to take her for walks and jogs on her own without poor George since he doesn't want to run for four blocks without stopping. He wants to explore and sniff and pee. He's not going to like me going for walks without him.

As for the floors, we took up the carpet and refinished the living room floor a couple of years ago and never got around to refinishing the dining room floor, as you can see in the photo. :lol: It's a huge, messy, time-consuming task which is our only excuse. I suppose, though, having two dogs galloping around, it would be an exercise in futility, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts