Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new rescue Lab assumed control of the couch pretty much from Day One, evicting poor George, who had been King of the Couch prior to that. It was his bed and his royal throne. For about three weeks, Gigi continued to control the couch and His Royal Highness was relegated to <gasp!> THE DOG BED. Oh, the SHAME.

In the last week or so, George has decided he's had enough and has taken to getting up on the couch whenever she's not on it and sitting there saying "MINE! MINE! MINE!" which puzzles Gigi, who doesn't quite know what to do about that. Sometimes she gets up on it, too, which means (usually) that he gets down and she has control again.

This morning, George took his couch while she was busy elsewhere (are Labs ALWAYS BUSY???? My nerves are SHOT) and when she came back to inquire, he growled, just a little, and went "WOOF!" Gigi was stunned. Astonished. Reared back without another word of argument and laid down on the rug. George gave me a look like "I told HER!" and proceeded to make himself as long and comfortable as possible so he'd be taking up all the room he can. Frankly, I congratulated him on standing his ground. It's HIS couch and she had no business just snatching it without even trying to compromise or take turns, and she's much younger and not nearly as royal, so I think he should have it and SHE should take the dog bed, unless he graciously grants her a turn.

·
Registered
782 Posts
George has just made sure that GiGi understands that in the basset realm, royalty is earned.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:lol: i've been wondering how things were going. sounds like George is getting a handle on the situation and retaking control of the squirt! :D

i thought about you at the vet last week --- someone's young lab (maybe a year and a half) had had to have some surgery and they'd come to pick him up. WELL! not only was the pup a total moose of a dog, but even coming out of full anesthetic couldn't hold him back --- he raced out into the waiting room, dragging the tech behind him and began leaping into the air.

as they were leaving with their moose --- er, lab pup :lol: --- they kept saying "Heel! Heel!" while he drug them out the door and down the front steps.

perhaps a glimpse into your future? :D :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My FUTURE? That's my past AND present. :lol: Sounds like the way we take "walks" (I would call them "dead runs") and at least once or twice a day she goes ballistic with no warning and just tears around the house scattering us and George in her wake. We have this large, square coffee table and she can leave the ground flat-footed, sail into the air, bounce off the coffee table and land on the couch so hard she MOVES it. And the vet says she's between 2 and 4, NOT a puppy. God help us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts