Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother has been wanting to stud out her basset george but she isnt really good on the computer. George lives in ramona california (san diego) so if there is anyone interested that lives in the san diego area let me know. George is akc registered And really handsome so I know he would make great puppies. He has the greatest personality. He gets along with all dogs and LOVES people.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, God ---- another one!

George is akc registered
This means NOTHING as far as quality for breeding is concerned.

And really handsome so I know he would make great puppies
So -- are you an accredited judge of bassets or are you just in love with your mother's dog? I tend to think you love George, which is wonderful, but that does not make you qualified to determine his breedability!

He has the greatest personality. He gets along with all dogs and LOVES people.  
Admirable traits -- in any pet, which I believe is just what George is and should remain.

My advice is to have your mother neuter George -- and, if you absolutely must advertise his availability, do it somewhere more appropriate.

You're new here, and seem to be getting off to a rocky start. Your screen name seems to have been chosen with some care, eh?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok anyways By saying that he is akc registered I was implying that he is papered so you know he is a pure bred basset. Not all dogs have great personalitys and most people who buy basset pups would ask how the parents temperments are. I dont know why you would even reply to my post if it doesnt pertain to you. Also I dont see anything wrong with what i posted on here since everyone here has a basset. Also there is nothing wrong with the name I chose. If you have a problem with it then keep it to yourself. And as far as bassets go I do think george is a great looking basset and so he would have great looking pups. I dont have to be an "accredited judge" to say that. Who cares if im new here does that mean you have to judge and scrutinize everything I write on here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okay......I am in no way trying to rock the boat or escalate a very touchy subject on this board. And I know (or assume) this thread will be moved to the "Breeding" discussion. But......I have a couple of questions and a comment or two. Please DON'T jump down my throat about this as I'm only asking questions cuz' I honestly don't know the answers or the rationality of the subject (I think that's what I wanted to say :? )

Firstly, I realize that there are WAY TOO MANY backyard breeders in this world and if I could I'd go out and take care of them myself. Enough said. But....what if someone wants to breed their dog and is genuinely interested in the best interest of the breed, etc. Are they not supposed to ever breed their dogs? Are only the already established breeders allowed to do this? If so, how do you become an already established breeder?

And secondly, isn't there a way to handle these questions, especially with the newbies, with a little less venom and a little more education on why it is not recommended to breed your dog? It just seems to me to breed (pardon the pun) bad blood when there really doesn't have to be any. If more people were educated about this subject, perhaps there would be less BBYs.

Just some thoughts and questions so if you want to shoot me - go ahead.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Lynne & Huck

If so, how do you become an already established breeder?
A good question, but a better question is "How do you become a responsible breeder?"

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding

And secondly, isn't there a way to handle these questions, especially with the newbies, with a little less venom and a little more education on why it is not recommended to breed your dog?
By all means, lead the way. Most of us would be delighted to have others share in this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My granmother had the mother george and she bred her and had 4 litters. after that she stopped breeding because she figured that was enough. My mother kept a dog from every litter. She wanted to stud out george and keep a puppy from the litter possibly. My mother and I were both around all 4 litters that we had. My grandmother was a very responsible breeder. My mom knows a lot about breeding because of that. I dont think it was wrong of me to ask if anyone was interested. I know there are a lot of irrisponsible people out there who would just do it for the money and really dont know what they are doing. But my mother loves bassets and I assure you she knows what she is doing

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
First of all, George is a beautiful looking dog. I'm sure any pups he had would be cute. ALL pups are cute, regardless.

That's part of the problem, as to why dog pounds and shelters are overun. The puppies grow up, and are no longer wanted. And I'm sure that's why otherwise rational, good hearted people lose their cool, when they hear inexperienced ones mention breeding their hounds.

A reputable breeder will make sure her puppies come back to her, (buyers sign a contract to that effect.) That shows they care about their pups future.

There is a LOT to consider, that I don't even know about. But I have a wonderful little basset that was found tied to a kitchen table, and starved almost to death. I'm sure whoever was his 'breeder'. thought the pups were cute too. I suggest you follow all of the good advice offered here, there is a wealth of knowlege.

Also want to say, 'Well said' Lynne. Some people just don't know, so they ask. Hopefully they will respond to constructive advice, given in a respectful tone, and leave the breeding to the breeders... As to the ones who go ahead and breed dogs that are too young, etc, ANYWAY... well I guess there isn't much you can do with them. Delete them, Betsy. Keep this board a 'happy place". :)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
When Biscuit was found by his rescue, he was, according to them, as near to death from starvation as a pup could be. I have pictures of him from when they took him in --- someday, I'll get a scanner and post those pics on threads like this.

He was not only quite near to death from starvation, but the victim of chronic malnourishment. His teeth were a mess --- it was apparent he'd never had a bit of decent kibble or a chewy in his life.

He was also unneutered and likely, according to the rescue, the stud for a BYBer or mill.

Lady, the German Shepherd girl I took in, is a perfect German Shepherd "specimen" in terms of conformation with a brilliant temperament --- well, except for her hatred of trucks --- and smart as a whip.

I got her from a woman who dumped her in her backyard and threw out occasional loaves of bread for her to eat. She was on her way to the pound when I took her in --- she was just so --- inconvenient, and the lady only wanted to have her cute little white fluffball doggies at her new home.

Many people on this board have living with them now bassets who have been the victim of even worse.

Let's not even get into the breeders who "ignore" or know nothing about the dangers of inherited disorders in bassets, horribly painful genetic disorders like glaucoma, and the deadly ones, like the bleeding disorders.

Cuteness can't make up for the pain of glaucoma. It really, really hurts the poor pups, and yes, there are some committed and loving people like Beverly Anne Cawley who see their beloved bassets through the inevitable blindness and ensure their dogs have happy lives.

How many are thrown out to the shelters, though, or euthanized because they're no longer perfect and have become --- mmm --- troublesome?

The incidence of glaucoma in bassets has skyrocketed in recent years, too, thanks to BYBers and people who just have to breed their basset because he's so - cute!

Betsy's and Aruuuu's posts were anything but venomous, given the realities for too, too many of these pups.

These realities are also why I only take in rescue and shelter and pound pups. Unfortunately, there are how many thousands? or is it hundreds of thousands? more.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
There are a few people on this forum who for years have been trying to educate new members. Most of them aren't breeders but have spent years educating themselves about the breed. And I for one am greatful to the responsible breeders who do post.

I don't feel it's my job to educate someone about breeding their dog. I can tell them where to start or the steps to take. If someone comes here and asks a reasonable question, they'll be answered like the person was answered in the post New here- Looking for info

But when someone's new and they post "how do I write a stud contract" or "My mother wants to stud her dog, is anyone here interested?" they're not serious about being educated so why should I waste my time? Most likely their intent is to create the types of feelings that exist on the forum right now. When you've been getting the same baloney for years and years, I do sometimes get a little short tempered and sometimes even feel like spitting nails. But considering there's 4668 registered members, we've had very few "trouble makers."

As Betsy said
By all means, lead the way. Most of us would be delighted to have others share in this.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Originally posted by Barbara Winters
As Betsy said
Ah but it is so much more enjoyable watching the mayhem wrought from afar :wink:

Ah but even that of late has become a bit mundane been a while since a thread had been closed and posts deleted for profanity and personal attacts, what ever happened to ellvis

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Chicken!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Betsy and Barbara, I guess I see the point you are making. The basset world you, and others on here live in, is so much different than mine. I guess many on here have seen it all, and are tired of the ignorance, intentional, or not!

I have always thought some of the replies these people (some well-meaning) get on here were harsh, when it comes to such a hot topic. But I always wondered too, why these people kept replyng, coming back for more. Never heard of 'flamers' before. (this is the ONLY board I have ever belonged to.) Never too old to learn.

And you're right, it's up to anyone who is SERIOUS about becoming a breeder of quality bassets, to do their homework and NOT ask stangers if any one has a basset for stud, etc. Unfortunately, many blindly jump into it, even when advised NOT too, and been given valid reasons. ie: mothers too young. (now I'm getting mad!)

I guess my mom taught me too well, not to be rude to strangers, and I'm too sensitive to some of the stuff I read. But I do understand a little more now, your frustration.

Sandy :)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
It's easy to criticize when one hasn't walked a mile in another's shoes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand what everyone on here is saying. I just dont think it was right for "aruuu" to post such a mean comment. She could've been a lot nicer and more mature about it. I am definetely not one of those people who post topics to make people upset. "aruuu even went as far as to say that I am not a caring person because my name on here is trouble maker fred, I am a caring person and I love my dog as much as the next person. Everyone is going to disagree with something but there is a nice way to disagree and that doesnt involve puting someone down. I think aruuu could've been a little nicer in her reply.
You're new here, and seem to be getting off to a rocky start. Your screen name seems to have been chosen with some care, eh?
doesnt this quote from aruuu seem a little harsh to you?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most definetely - I would have been lanc upset. Lots of people want a basset not for breeding purposes. Let me sketch our scenario and if you want to frown upon it - you are allowed to...

Bassets have lovely personalities - Correct?
Bassets are GREAT with children - Correct?
Bassets are LOVEABLE companions - Correct?

so in South Africa Bassets are very scarce and breeders expect you to DEFINITELY breed with the dogs bought from them for the price of a small car.
We also don't have rescue bassets - and if you know about any rescue basset organizations please tell me (in SA) because we would love to adopt one.

So what we did was to buy Lex from what I presume you would call a backstreet breeder - Lex is not KUSA registered allthough her mom was. She is lovely and delightful and taken we aren't going to breed with her - we wanted a GREAT LOVEABLE companion who's GOOD WITH CHILDREN.

So please no dissing the "backstreet breeder"

and I'm a newbie aswell - so I should maybe not be giving my opinion but is it really necessary to be rude and abbrasive? we are here to help and educate and encourage each other on this beautifully unique breed of dogs. True? or Not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well Now I'm ticked. Even "responsible breeders" need to spend some time at a humane society and see what is going to happen to their puppies. every home that a breeder sends a puppy to is one less home for the ones that have experienced nothing but pain adn would give anything to be loved. you can have all the people you want sign contracts and it doesn't mean anything. Have you ever seen the "free puppy/kitten" ads in the paper? Do you know where those animals end up? With the people that want to torture them, set them on fire, burn them with chemicals. Even if you charge people money for the pet they don't care, they need to torture the animal! If you want to see the lengths people will go to to obtain their victims go to www.pet-abuse.com If you like dogs around why not foster or volunteer at a shelter or rescue. those animals can be cooped up in cage for MANY hours at a time and thrive on some human contact. Granted I do have a pure basset (I assume) but he is a rescue from a puppy mill, that is the only way my morals would allow me to have a pure basset. My other is from a shelter, she had been dumped on the side of the road with her mother and brother to die. You know how long her brother sat in that Kennel, OVER A Year! We even paid to have him fixed so he would be more desirable. I not trying to be judgemental it's just some things i feel very strongly about and misguided notions about animals Are nothing I can fix.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
So please no dissing the \"backstreet breeder\"
If by "backstreet breeder" means the same as BackYard Breeder than I can't stop speaking out against them. Supporting BYB's is the #1 reason why so many dogs end up in shelters and rescue here in the US.

You're a BackYard Breeder if you don't practice the steps listed at Responsible Breeder

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Well Now I'm ticked. Even \"responsible breeders\" need to spend some time at a humane society and see what is going to happen to their puppies. every home that a breeder sends a puppy to is one less home for the ones that have experienced nothing but pain adn would give anything to be loved.
Most responsible breeders support basset rescue and if they don't they should. However not many dogs of responsible breeders end up in humane societies, shelters or rescue because they take back the dogs they breed. If they don't support rescue in some way or take back their dogs then I wouldn't call them responsible. Of course PETA wants people to only get dogs from rescue and shelters because their goal is to end the existence of companion animals.

I forgot that some people don't even support responsible breeding. Getting nieve in my old age. :(

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My first basset hound (when I was 7 or 8 yrs old) came from a respectful breeder and he had no health problems until he was about 9 or 10 yrs old. Had to be put down at 11 yrs old.

Ruby came from a respectful breeder and has had nothing but health problems her whole life (so far). She's a doll and a half (which you all know) but had she not been placed in OUR household, she might have been one of those "throw-a-way" dogs that end up at the pound or whever ever. Because we have had to spend a $$fortune$$ on her medical issues which started with ear infections from day one then pano early and and massive infections and everything else.

My comments really have nothing whatsoever to do with the disucssion at hand other than to say we had her spayed at an early age because while she's beyond gorgeous and fun and wonderful and loving and the cutest basset in the whole world, we didn't want to see any more bassed not cared for properly.

Once I saw a program on cable (can't tell you which one it was) and they said that one of the most abused or neglected breeds out there are bassets because they are so stubborn and a lot of people aren't patient and don't care about training.

That's the last thing I want to see or hear about. As a matter of fact, when people write on our list about things they've read in the paper, i.e. bassets abused, I cannot read it.

There's so many dogs out there (not only bassets) who need homes...maybe supporthing that effort would be better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 2 cent's worth

I think my Lea is a purebred dog but I got her from our local pound so I don't have registration papers, not that they mean a whole lot anyways. If you think that because you own a basset hound it will not come to harm OR be killed in a shelter think again. If I hadn't taken Lea home with me that very day she would be dead and she wasn't even a year old when I brought her home with me! I'm not being rude I'm telling it like it is.... are you willing to have George have puppies not knowing who is going to raise them, love them or neglect and torture them? How are you or your mom going to make sure the "wife" you choose for George is healthy and up to date on all her shots, well taken care of and that the owner knows how to take care of puppies? How do you plan on finding homes for the puppies?

Lou

1 - 20 of 23 Posts