Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a basset that's prone to climbing OVER a gate? I have a tall (41inch) gate that we use to keep our Basset in the hallway while we're away. He gets over it every time. :mad:This was after a regular sized gate wasn't working.
We put him in the hallway with one of those cubes that you stuff a bunch of treats in and it challenges them mentally but it's almost as if as soon as we leave, he ditches that to get out.
Sometimes I come home and he's out and everything's fine but more and more I'll come home and the trash is everywhere or he got into a kitchen cabinet and there's dry macaroni, rice, almonds and peanuts everywhere.
I'm working with Bark Busters on him and it's an ongoing process but I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar instances of their bassets 'climbing to freedom'.
OR if you can just share ANY story of your basset putting that stubbornness to use, I could use a little 'you're not alone' reassurance.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
if anyone else had similar instances of their bassets 'climbing to freedom'.
see Minnie the escape artist

Mine have taught each outher to move chairs etc to reach the counter, Open cabinets , and open the refridgerator though that have not figured out the french door model yet.

I come home and he's out and everything's fine but more and more I'll come home and the trash is everywhere or he got into a kitchen cabinet and there's dry macaroni, rice, almonds and peanuts everywhere.
Have you video taped his activity while your gone,. It may not be a simple case of bordom , desire to escape, sense of adventure. But he could have Seperation anxiety and it is manifested in this way.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Not to mention Minnie's great grandmother, Rainbow:

BTW, Minnie was an escape artist from a very young age - even at 6 weeks, whatever you put her in she would try to get out (and usually succeed eventually). Her sisters Leila and Vina are no slouches in that department either. I have quite a few that can open certain types of crates, a few used to be able to open my old fridge, and I had one that would open the oven and use the door as a step to climb onto the stove.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I have quite a few that can open certain types of crates,
When Macey was in the vets for toenail surgery and teeth cleaning, We were asked to pick her up a couple hours earlier than there normal time of 3:pm because she had escaped from their crare twice and empty the dishes to feed the resident cat. When we got their they had the crate door secured with no less than 5 leashes tieing it closed. That an she could be heard in the parking lot. Macey is one of Miriam's Breedings,

This is the only time she has every tried to get out of a crate. she is ussually quite happy in them

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mine aren't geniuses at escaping by any stretch of the imagination. When we've used baby gates, Virga was too small to get over them and Doppler didn't care enough to try. And with the way our house is set up there's really no need for them anymore. The house is built on an open floor plan and so to keep them out of areas we don't want them in, all we have to do is close the doors. They can't open doors (thank god for small favors!).

But we had one instance where Virga got out of her kennel in the middle of the night and had a blast in her room. She used to be in a wire kennel with the fastener that you just have to slide to open it. We figure she just pawed at it until she got it open! Either that or my husband didn't double check it like he said he did. But irregardless of what happened, she met me at the door the next morning with a puppy grin saying, "look what I did mommy!". The room was an utter and complete mess. It took us about an hour to clean up all the pee, the poop, and the paper. But she had fun. I guess that's all that matters right?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I had a Houdini dog, but he usually went under things.
Actually, my first Basset Sam was a Houdini (or Houndini?). If tied in the yard he would slip his collar off, go under the fence and roam the neighborhood. He was quite well known by the neighbors. I spent a good deal of my teenage years looking for him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E

see Minnie the escape artist

Mine have taught each outher to move chairs etc to reach the counter, Open cabinets , and open the refridgerator though that have not figured out the french door model yet.

Have you video taped his activity while your gone,. It may not be a simple case of bordom , desire to escape, sense of adventure. But he could have Seperation anxiety and it is manifested in this way.
Those pics r too funny. We leave some inTeresting toys with him. We have videotaped and it happens as soon as we leave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
be heard in the parking lot. Macey is one of Miriam's Breedings,

This is the only time she has every tried to get out of a crate. she is ussually quite happy in them
we're exploring the crate idea but gonna try and implement some trainer ideas. Btw, he barks and fusses when he's in a crate too :mad:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I vote for trying a crate with multiple locks. The crate we have now is a little complicated (have to lift up and then slide 2 locks), so Worm has never tried as far as I can tell. He certainly has never gotten out of his crate. (I'm impressed by the bassets that have, tho).

We've never tried the gate thing when we're gone. That's because I had a wiener dog growing up who jumped over all the gates we bought (we kept buying taller and taller ones), it didn't matter. Eventually, we put him in a room where there was a full sliding door, so that kept him back. Anyway, this time around, I didn't even think to try w/the basset, because I figured he would probably do the same...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts