Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Gang!
Fran's 12, happy, and doing well for a totally white, blind geezer dog.
EXCEPT, we are passing enough gas to power N-Star. It has become a bit of a problem and he has become "canina non grata" at all the best places and social salons. I've played with food changes (vet's kind of useless here, just keep suggesting changes) and we're still the smelliest couple in the metropolitan Boston area. His dog walker has even mentioned it.
The pumpkin helps a little but he gains way too much weight on it
He's tried all the senior formulas and some low ingredient foods (ie Wellness Duck and Rice) and it's still, uh...fragrant around here.
Help! I'd like to be able to visit places with him but as you can guess, we're not too welcome around here!
Thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
You can try some OTC supplements. Here is one: Vet's Best Natural Care Gas Busters at PETCO

Note though that with most herbal type supplements it takes several weeks to notice a difference. One of the reviews said it took a month to take effect. I use something similar to help with bladder issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The pumpkin helps a little but he gains way too much weight on it
I make sure it is not the pie mix and just plain pumpkin and or squash,

2. when adding to a diet reduce the amount of kibble as well the compensates for added calories the caloric density of pumpkin, squash, or green beens is lot less than kibble.

3. If pumpkin helps with gas then it is likely Francis good use more fiber in his diet. Metimucil , fiber tablets etc are all low call alternatives.

4. Try a probiotic Gas is prodiced by the flora and funa in the gut. by susing a probiotic you may be able to change that balance and end up with orgaism that help digest the food but produce less gas.

5. when switching food with a dog that is primarily fed the same thing over and over again it is likely to greate more gas because the flora - funa balance is optimized for the particular food he is use to geting. it could takes weeks with a new food to see a difference.

6. gas can be a result of alergies. You may want to try on of the newer Perscription diet Hypoalergenic food (manipulated protein to a smaller change than does not induce allergic reaction not a limited ingredient food) in a feeding trial (takes 12 weeks) and see what the result are. If improved then you can experiment with some of the limited ingredient food options out there.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have no idea if this would help, but have you tried a gas-x or two a day? I've given them to my dogs every so often (I'm paranoid about bloat--who knows if gas-x will prevent it), and there don't seem to be any ill effects..

·
Registered
973 Posts
Senior foods tend to be really high in starches which can contribute to gassiness. I'd try something higher in protein and fat.

If you are concerned about giving more protein to a senior dog, check here:
DogAware.com Articles: Diets for Senior Dogs
DogAware.com: Commercial Dog Foods
Along those same lines there is a book out about senior dog care which has a pretty lengthy chapter on diet. I've just started reading it: Amazon.com: Good Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable (9780547232829): Faculty of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts Univer, Nicholas H. Dodman BVMS, Lawrence Lindner: Books

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kirska, I listened to Dr. Dodman on Fresh Air (NPR) last week and I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I've met Dr. Dodman a few times and he's a sound, wise, common sense vet who really thinks things through. His books on dog behavior are brilliant.
Mike, you are still the resident brain at Basset.net.
Thanks to all, we're seeing the vet in the morning to rule out any bigger issues and to give him a little sedation so we can clip those prehensile claws of his.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dog Vitamin Supplements Dog Vitamins Arthritis Dogs Treatments this should stop it. it's called Nupro,awesome stuff,found out about it from a breeder of show and field beagles,i bought some this week for my bunch,i also went to the facility since it is 15 miles about from my house.nice people i meet the whole team.i think if you have bassets you may want to use this product al least the joint supplement.my one pup is a little "benched leg" but was told if given this it will correct the problem.i have spoken with a few people that use it and they swear by it.it can't hurt any way.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My 16 year old Collie had the same problem for the past couple years of her life. I found adding a couple of tablespoons of plain natural yougot to her dinner helped no end.

·
Registered
972 Posts
you totally need probiotics (in the vitamin isle....asodopholis is one...) which are in yogurt (that's why that works). This balances out the bad "stinky" bacteria in the intestine. This also, btw, works for humans.
If it's too bad, the dog may have a bacteria bloom and you can talk to your vet about Flaygl...though they may know it under the name Metronidazole. This is also used for humans.

I've had amazing results with holistic select brand food...it's expensive but it's amazing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts