Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lightning is 12 and appears to be in good health. A few months ago he started making a gagging noise, but he didn't cough anything up. I'd been through this with Stomps, who was diagnosed with early stage heart disease and put on medication. So when the vet put Lightning on heart meds I didn't panic. But the gagging hasn't stopped. He has a good energy level, even though this is the hottest summer I can remember. The humidity is extremely high too. He doesn't act like a 12yo dog, let alone a 12yo dog with heart problems. So I'm wondering if it might be allergies. Has anyone had a dog who gagged due to allergies? If so, what did you do? We don't have much of choice of vets where I live, and I don't have much faith in the one I go to, so I like to be as educated as possible when I take Lightning in to see him. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I should add that he does it throughout the day. It doesn't seem to coincide with getting up after a long nap or after exercise. He has gotten raw spots for the first time in his armpits and under his collar, but those went away quickly with treatment. He doesn't have any other signs of allergies. The vet did a quick EKG but did not take x-rays before prescribing the heart medication. He's not on lasix.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no. He has been drooling more, his breath can be really bad (but I chalk that up to his poop eating) and just in the last few days he's been acting like he is afraid to eat. I don't remember if the vet checked his tongue and mouth when we were there last. I'll call the vet tomorrow a.m. I wish I had a vet that I had more faith in. Thanks for the info, Mike. Please pray that's not what it is.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an FYI. I gave Lightning half a Zyrtec yesterday, and he hasn't gagged since. I do still intend to take him to the vet, but I wanted to try this experiment first. So far so good.

·
Registered
608 Posts
how is the old guy? Hope it was allergy related. FWIW, my guy does this if he lies on his back for any length of time. Never thought of mentioning it to the vet.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took him off the heart medicine to see how the Zyrtec worked, and he went a couple of days without gagging. Then when it started again (although not as often), I put him back on the heart meds and the Zyrtec. It's a little too early to tell, but so far so good! Oh great, just as I was typing this he gagged three times! I'll post an update after I've taken him back to the vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts