Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my family and I are finally in a position where we could possible adopt a dog and we're really excited! My husband and I wanted a basset hound when we were newlyweds and were trying to set up our lives to buy a house and a puppy and instead we got... a baby! Lol so here we are years later and we now have a 4 year old daughter, 3 month old son. Two indoor only tabby cat sisters we rescued, about a year old, and 3 outdoor only feral cats who have claimed us. A couple weeks ago we bought a house we are planning on splitting with my husbands parents, into a duplex like situation. I am a stay at home, homeschooling mom and am almost always at home, except for weekly errands and church for a few hours twice a week we are homebodies and like it that way. We live in a small country town and we will have about an acre for the little ones to roam around on. If we do go forward with getting a basset she would be inside with us, unless we are outside of course. We also plan on getting chickens pretty quick. The chickens would be well established before we bring in a puppy because I have a rule, only one potty trainer at a time. So I'm thinking when my son is totally potty trained we will celebrate by getting a puppy. I'm getting an early start on researching because I really want to do it right. Does our situation sound like a good fit for a basset? If not do you have any breed suggestions for us? And do you have any tips for raising bassets, especially in setting up the environment? Good type of fencing for instance? Is crate training a good start for them? Thank you!

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
1. I think it is smart to wait till the son is older. Todlers and dogs can be a scary mix.

2. chicken could be an issue with a dog with a high prey drive could be an issue. Introducing a puppy <= 12 weeks could help at socialize the dog to them. but I don't thing I could trust one 100% with them. The present of chickens could exacerbate barking.

@ 1.21 mark you can barely see a white streak cotton tail and a basset right on its butt hence my concern . if not kept separate but I do know some that keep birds, chicken , ducks even peafowl and bassets on the same property and they have not had an issue yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts