Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my elvis is estimated to be around 10 yrs old. we adopted him from the human society. he is the sweetest dog ever.
i took him to the vet and he said that elvis has a kidney stone which will not dissolve on its own that it will need surgery to remove and while they did xray they said that his spine is fusing together ;o( but all they did was give me pain pills for the back.

has anyone experienced either of these with their bassets & if so.
what did you do in your situation

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
In most but certainly not all cases spondylosis does not cause pain. I had on dog diagnosed with it at tweleve and was well managed with nsaids except for the las couple of month when she was 16 Give the You have actual calcium deposit fusing the bone I doubt any product that is use to benefit joints or cartaledge will help, IMHO somthing that deals with pain and inflamation should it occur is a better way to go which means nsaids. ie rimidyl, deramaxx

·
Registered
18 Posts
My beagle/lab mix, Heather, was diagnosed with spondylosis. For her, when it flares up it primarily shows up in the base of her tail (though it seems to be progressing); it starts swelling and it does cause her pain, especially while defecating. Right now we handle her flare-ups with deramaxx or previcox, both of which help with the inflammation and pain. Spondylosis is a type of arthritis, so it tends to flare up at times when the weather changes, or it is cold. Heather does much better during the spring/summer than other times of the year.

Heather is only around 7 or 8, so I worry what it will be like as she ages and the spondylosis progresses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts