Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Ollie's Mom...you know the glasses convict.....I have a question about furniture. Why is it that all of our chairs, recliners, and couches have all been confiscated by Ollie??? Just wondering.....lol
By the way it doesn't even matter if we were already sitting in the chair, etc....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Coffee Mom, i learnt this same lesson years ago. When you are adopted by a basset hound, you give up the right to 'own' anything. All items become the property of said basset until they deem you ready to borrow such items, ie if it is broken, no longer exciting or they just dont want it!!! I think of it as being similar to joining a convent and giving all my possesions to Dog x

·
Registered
697 Posts
Basset hound rules

Basset hound rules

1. The Basset is not allowed in the house.

2. Okay, the Basset is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
  3. The Basset is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.
  4. The Basset can get on the old furniture only, but has to stay off the new couch.
  5. The Basset can get on all the furniture, but is no allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.
  6. Okay, the Basset is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
  7. The Basset can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
  8. The Basset can sleep under the covers by invitation only.
  9. The Basset can sleep under the covers every night.
  10. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the Basset.
General rules

1. If I like it, it's mine.
  2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
  3. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  4. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
  5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours.
  6. If it just looks like mine, it's mine.
  7. If I saw it first, it's mine.
  8. If it's edible, it's mine.
  9. If you have something and put it down, it's mine.
  10. If I chew something up, all the pieces are mine.
  11. If it get tired of it, it's yours.
  12. If I want it back, it's mine.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation

Henry and Victoria:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm still amazed at how 1 Basset can take over a couch meant for four people!

I've just accepted it... It's easier! LOL! I cover the furniture with blankets, sheets, etc so that the furniture is still clean when I have guests... Other wise, I live in a world of chairs and couches covered... What we do for our dogs!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Back in the day one time toughy and my sister had a race to the recliner while my sister was getting in the convential way toughy jump over the arm to slip in behind her. They shared the chair for twenty munite till tough had enoug. With his bach agains the chair he pushed her with is four feet which was followed by a big thud It was one of the funniest things ever. at for me

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
From a practical stand point I recommend teach the dog an off command,. Rather than getting into a power struggle in getting a dog to move . especial as a basset get older things do not work as well and bing derrk around by the collar can be painful You can avoid a lot of resource guarding a comfortable spot issue py simply teach off

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Henry'smum...thank you so much for posting that. I just got a new beagle puppy for Barney to play with and it's been very, very exhausting, to say the least. I was taking a break and happened to read that.....made me lol but better yet, made me realize that there is a method to my madness........i think. :confused:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Barney...and new beagle pups mum, you are most welcome. I first discovered the basset rules when my mum bred beagles and we had beagle rules pinned to the kitchen door - they are suprisingly similar! There is method to your madness and it will all work out in the end! As we say in yorkshire... It will rain or go dark by the morning!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning can't jump up on his favorite pieces of furniture anymore, so I have to MOVE HIS STEPS FROM ONE DESIRED RESTING PLACE TO ANOTHER throughout the day. And these steps are HEAVY! But if His Highness doesn't get what he wants, everyone suffers. So I move the stairs back and forth, back and forth. Good thing I love the old coot.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a theory that Henry has hipnotised me to do his bidding, thats the only explaination i can come up with for why we pander to their every desire!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
just need on set of stairs and a "dog walk" between all the other pieces of furniture.

the other thing is stairs can be disguiesd to look like a piece of furniture. Is it a coffee table or a doggie step etc,

·
Registered
697 Posts
Are you saying that a coffee table isnt actually made for a basset to sit on???? Clearly noone has told a certain little basset that lives in our house this!!!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Are you saying that a coffee table isnt actually made for a basset to sit on????
If mariah is not on it it is the access point to the couch if Mariah is on it then it becomes a Petting throne

·
Registered
697 Posts
Henry just likes to stand on it as it adds extra height for him to admire the lampshades - for admire please read slyly chew until he realises he is about to get told off then he starts to just look t them like that was what he was doing all along

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I'm still amazed at how 1 Basset can take over a couch meant for four people!

I've just accepted it... It's easier! LOL! I cover the furniture with blankets, sheets, etc so that the furniture is still clean when I have guests... Other wise, I live in a world of chairs and couches covered... What we do for our dogs!
so true-- my life has been taken over. my car used to be so clean. now it's full of hair & dried slobber (Worm's my co-pilot). always get a lecture from the parents when they see my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts