Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. We have a 5 month Basset named Georgia. She is incredible and has given us tremendous joy during these trying times.

We caved early on and let her on furniture. Mostly we found it was an easy way to sooth her to sleep. I am now reading articles about how getting on and off furniture can be really bad for them. The movements can damage their backs. If necessary we can do a 180 and prohibit her on furniture. I anticipate it will be a painful several weeks.

Before doing so I wanted to get feedback from experienced owners.

Do you allow your basset on furniture? Has your dog remained healthy?
I have also heard of having the dog use ramps to get on the furniture.

Really curious to hear feedback from others. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
In general it's not a good idea to allow a Basset up, and especially off, furniture or stairs. I'd never go as far as buying a ramp or steps for FURNITURE although we have two, a normal length one for the car, and a short one for the few steps out back, bought for Frankie.

It's not so much their backs that matter, but their fronts especially if the young hound is heavy boned. Ours have always been 'allowed' (or rather not discouraged) on furniture BUT we bought a sofa and love seat which were particularly low to the ground, knowing we'd be on a losing battle if we tried stopping them. Was a time we'd be sitting on the floor with them on the comfortable furniture! I have photos of 4 generations of them on the sofa. I'm not sure where they are or I'd post one. Strangely our dear departed boy never attempted to get up on any chair/sofa. Perhaps that was an indication of his skeletal problems from the get-go?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We tried to keep our Obi-Wan off the furniture just after we got him. He would be good - staying off the sofa, etc. - until we left the room. When we came back, he'd be "sound asleep" on the sofa, like he'd been picked up and put there and not realized it. Eventually we gave in, because we were not home and in the living room 24/7, and the struggle was difficult. Fast forward 10 years and one afternoon he jumped off the sofa and ruptured a disk in his back.

Now, he was going to have disk problems, it seems (based on the other two disks that also ruptured later on). But maybe that first one would have happened later on if he hadn't been jumping off of the furniture all the time. The second disk rupture happened after he'd recovered from the surgery for that first rupture. He was starting to feel really back to normal and decided to try to jump up again. I was too far away to stop him, and I saw it happen - it happened on the way up, he didn't even make it onto the sofa. Another surgery - this one not as successful (he was still left without control of his hind legs). And the third rupture happened without any jumping at all, as he was still in confinement from the second surgery. He was so miserable. It was very sad. He never recovered and I miss him every day.

My advice would be to fight the hard fight now, at a young age, and keep her off the furniture. Besides, it will mean less dog hair on your sofa!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts