Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have used similar products on my chow lab mix. They really did not seem to do much more than a cheap deshedding tool or a brush.

I have seen more nad more of them on the market that look exactly like the furminator, but cheaper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the one I have is a copy and not the origional furminator. Order it from amazon for $10 and it works pretty good. the dog love it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm pretty sure the one I have is the regular furminator, not the deluxe, and it works great on Lightning (not so much on the cat, who has longer hair).

·
Registered
761 Posts
I use something similar but I think it's cheaper. It looks like a saw blade sort of.
Walmart.com: Double-Sided Shedding Blade: Dogs
It works great. I use the side for long coats on Doppler and the side for short coats on Virga. It gets all the loose fur up from the undercoat. Both dogs love it. They seem to think it's a massage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies. I did have a look at amazon Ly909, but it says they're only delivering to usa/canada at the moment and I'm in ozzie land. As long as either one works, i'm fine with that, i just didn't want to buy something that's not gonna do it's job. Will go with the cheaper one though, if the deluxe doesn't make any difference :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have the "medium" Furminator, and I love it. It does a super job. I also use the "Zoom Groom" which is great also. I've found they seem to work on the different types of hair a Basaset has. The Furminator is great at getting rid of the loose softer undercoat hair and the "Zoom Groom" with it's rubber fingers gets off the longer stiffer hair. Bogie considers the "Zoom Groom" a massager and loves having his tummy and legs done with it.

You do have to be careful with the Furminator, especially around lumps, bumps, nipples, ears, etc. I like using it in the house in the winter because the hair stays on the blade until you get it off and doesn't fly all over the place. It's spendy , but in my opinion worth every penny.

Last of all I use a rubber yard glove to rub him down with and it really makes their coat shine.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I have the original one and love it. I’ve found it depends on the kind of hair they have how well works. Flash has very short and it’s on the thinner side – so I don’t find it to get much more out than any other fine tooth comb. But… Lucy on the other hand has a little longer hair and a LOT thicker – when I use it on her – I can fill up a paper grocery store bag. I’m late doing her and you’ve motivated me – If we have a quiet weekend with Flash, I’ll work on her and post how much I’m able to get off.

Jen~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.