Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Does anyone else's basset do this? When I am with Buford while he is eating, he will only go over to his bowl and get ONE piece out walk about 4-5 steps away from his bowl, look at me and then slowly eat that piece of food, wait about 30 seconds and repeat this all over again until I leave, then he just devours all of the food. This is hilarious!

NOte the new "Big dog" collar.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dixie does this somewhat. She takes a few kibbles out and turns to the side and drops them on the floor, proceeding to eat them from there. We finally put the bowls on a big rug. She eats the final bits in the bowl but the rest are moved to the floor,sorted out and then eaten. Our performance is a bit quicker than yours, though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
No, Ruby doesn't do that! But she does LOVE her food (Eukanuba FP: fish and potato that you get from the vet)

But she'll eat all of the food in her bowl (dried kibble), then she's drink a ton of water, and then go back to her food bowl and I kid you not, even tho she doesn't have lips to hold in the water, somehow she holds the water in her mouth and brings it back to her food bowl. (I know she does this because there's water there!).

Then she licks out the food bowl again from top to bottom including the rim and she does this 2 or 3 times more after drinking even more water each time.

Then she comes over to one of us and burps! Mmmmm-mmmm-good!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Stomps would do that if he could. But Lightning is such a hog that he keeps that from happening. Before I got Stomps, Lightning would push all the food out of his bowl all over the kitchen floor, then take all day to eat it. That drove me nuts! Then when I got Stomps, Lightning suddenly started wolfing his food down, to the point that I worry he'll bloat. Then he'll lick the inside of his bowl for a good 20 minutes or more. He has so many eating rituals, he'd be so OCD if he were human. Stomps is the opposite. If he didn't have to, he wouldn't eat at all. They're all characters!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
Charlie (11yrs) likes to grump at his food even bark at it, and then he sometimes will take his foot and tip it over and eat it off the floor. Most of the time he likes to take several pieces over on the carpet to eat. If his water dish gets empty he flips over and over again until some one gets up and fills it. When my one cat starts eating his food he lays with his head on his paws and whines. Brandy(5yrs) stands at her bowl and just scarfs it down. Although she has to have her oil squirted on before she starts, so I have to make sure she sees me do it or she whines until I show her. I had to teach Brandy that she couldn't eat out of Charlies dish as he would let her eat all his food. So I would sit in my chair where I could watch them and any time she went near his food I would tell her that is not your dish. Her dish is about 10 ft from his dish. I don't have to watch them anymore Brandy knows the rules although if Charlie leaves his food and goes out of the kitchen I have to remind her. They happily drink out of the bowl together what slobs they are.
Steph

B

·
0 Posts
Byron just started doing this. It is so strange. He seems to sample it to determine if he likes it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sami takes a bite- throws it around the room- finally catches it and eats it... she repeats this over and over... much more fun to watch than tv :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts