Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pretty lil Princess Buttercup has ringworm. Headed to wash her right now... since I work in human sports medicine I have Chlorhexidine by the gallon. Has anyone used that as a shampoo in these cootie incidences? Thinking of following it with gentle Oats a Fur Coats regular shampoo but can’t decide whether that would help or dry her skin out further. Help! I’ve already treated with topical anti fungal, washed ALL the beds, & vacuumed my brains out... & vet apt on Friday. What else am I missing?

I see this daily in the clinic during wrestling season but something about it on PB... #ihavetheheebiejeebies #whendidshejoinwrestling?

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
may want of use keto/clorhexidine shampoo They tend not to clean so well so you use a regular shampoo first to clean and allow the medicated shampoo clear access to the skin. I would not use a shampoo after the medicated shampoo because it will remove residual active ingredients if you can stand having her smell like a pickle a white distilled vinegar rinse after the medicated shampoo.

Standard shampoo/medicated shampoo/ vinegar rinse is standard procedure Miriam uses at the grooming shop for skin/yeast issue. Often varing between antifungal shampoos to reduce the risk of creating resistant fungus. Keto/clorhexidine and miconazole shampoo I thing Davis is the manufacture she currently uses but it does not really matter. the keto/clorhexidine lathers and cleans better so it is the more go to than the miconazole.

https://www.healthyskin4dogs.com/blog/2015/9/8/facts-myths-about-yeast-dermatitis-in-dogs

I am not a fan of Raw apple cider vinegar it has to many by products. The one and only know anti-fungal/antimicrobial agent in apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. Might as well us the cheapest and cleanest form of it which is distilled white vinegar.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mikey! Good thing I ran out of time & only did the chlorahexadine. 😂 We saw the vet yesterday & even though the spots are perfectly round, red, raised with hair loss in the middle & improving with antifungal... they’re starting her on an antibiotic while we wait 3 weeks for culture to come back. Nothing showed with Woods lamp but instead of waiting three weeks & then possibly treating for fungus, we opted to do both. (Partly because of the daily vacuuming & laundering... gah for 6 weeks? I might have to train the best hound around to vacuum herself!)

Words can’t express how much I’ve appreciated your replies over the years. You & everyone on here has certainly made raising my 1st hound a breeze. I feel a little guilty that the only time I’m on is when I need something. Thank you for being my favorite resource! Here are some photos of my bark napper.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts