Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the large pack fun hunt in N. Dartmouth, MA. -- about 36 hounds running around -- we used the small enclosures, because the people have a better chance of seeing a rabbit. In all the many years I have been going to this event, I have seen only one hare get caught -- this year 2 were caught by the hounds, and both hounds were mine. Wench caught one on the run, they were young rabbits in that enclosure and not very smart -- apparently bunny did not think Wench was serious -- she was!!!!
the second one was flushed from it's brush pile by a hound and ran uphill , he just barely made it past Riley, but then got trapped in some old fencing in the pen. 12 hounds in that small an enclosure is apparently too much for the rabbits. We went to the large enclosure for the final runoff, but didn't find a rabbit.
Several new people were there, and all seemed to enjoy the event

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like the hounds had a great time. I was just chatting with one of my friends about how I wish they had events like this in the Memphis, TN area. It would be great for my Fred.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
went to the large pack fun hunt in N. Dartmouth, MA. -- about 36 hounds running around -- we used the small enclosures, because the people have a better chance of seeing a rabbit. In all the many years .... We went to the large enclosure for the final runoff, but didn't find a rabbit.
Several new people were there, and all seemed to enjoy the event[/b]
not finding a rabbit in the large enclosure is generally what happens after spending a 1 hour plus wandering in the swamp, Macey found the rabbit poop and food in the sheltered area's made especially for the bunnies well worth hunting for, and she use her speed to move right to the front in one chase that ended when it went to ground.

·
Registered
139 Posts
About not finding rabbits - my first basset, Herman, had no training at all but you could put him down in a Walmart parking lot and he'd start a rabbit out of the pavement in 90 seconds. He used to track the same rabbit around our property for what seemed like hours until my wife would get a headache and make me stop him. He never caught one in hot pursuit but a couple of times he caught rabbits after only a few minutes of nosing around in the brush (unfortunately he also caught one of our domestic rabbits who escaped his hutch but that's another story). My wife swore the rabbits must have been dead already but they were warm when he brought them to me and each time there was an armada of fleas crawling up the dog's head off the hare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts