Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my basset hound puppy, the lady I got her from said she is full blooded. But I have been looking at some pictures on here, and I just dont think her ears are long enough to be full blooded...but I dont know much about bassets yet. Do you think she looks full blooded? I dont know if the picture is going to work on here or not. She is 9 weeks old if it matters.

http://www.basset.net/boards/members/lexi-s-mommy-3-albums-lexi-picture738-010.jpg

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Her ears are not conformationally correct nor are her feet, whether that is because she is mixed breed or the results of breed to non-conformationally correct basset is a mattter of conjecture. Without a "pedigree" there is no way to determine if a dog is pure bred or not. At that a pedigree is only as good as the breeder that represent the puppies, it is not unknown for less than scruppulious breeder to register known mixed breed litter as purebred.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

She is very cute, but looks more like a Beagle mix to me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
She is a cutie.. but I agree with everyone else.. she does not look like a pure breed basset. But either way how can you not fall in love with that cute of a face.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Looks like a Bagle to me, but she definitely is a beauty!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As mikeyT said the ears are not correct(see AKC Basset Standard)but could still be pure just poorly bred. If you saw the parents that should give you some indication of how she would look grown up.If you didn't see the parents its anyone's guess.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi!

I just wanted to say that I think Lexi could definitely still be a full blood basset. Everyone guessed Charlie to be a beagle.. but her long ears and short legs give it away that she is definitely a basset. Charlie still has a beagle-ish looking face but is in all ways a basset. (Personality.. structure, etc.) Charlie's face looked a lot like your Lexi's when she was young. If you look at Josie, another basset on this site, she also has a similar looking face. I don't know about Lexi, but Charlie is definitely a petite basset (almost 8 months and 26 pounds). I think Josie is too. I just made a little collage of Charlie growing up over the past 5 months just to give you an idea of how she looked similar to Lexi but definitely grew into her basset self! I have confidence that Lexi is a full breed.. or still could be, just hasn't quite grown into bassetness yet! ha:)

http://www.basset.net/boards/member...sue-picture744-charlie-over-past-5-months.jpg

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
the are too small specifical note that the width of the foot is the same as the leg and angle. this is typical of a beagle or less conformationally concerned breeder. Basset feet are supose to be massive both is area and thickness

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok. Whew! I thought you might have meant her freckles. Virga has freckled feet and we've seen both her parents and know her to be full blooded. But looking back I think I see what you mean.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Whew! I thought you might have meant her freckles.
In basset coats there are no conformational faults for coat coloration.

Just a fun fact. Hair color cells move from the 7 nueral crest sites along the spine to the rest of the body. when the dog is a fetus. This is why in all breeds of dog that the white areas are those furthest from the nueral crests the tip of the tail , the muzzle, belly, feet and center of the chest. The movement of the cells are not controled simply by genetics either, there are a whole host of environmental factors as well, It is guite likey that is more so than not genetic twins and or even clones in dogs will not have the same coat marking in a dog that is multicolored,

I also tend to find unlike humans basset get more freckles as they age not less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts