Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been gone for awhile but now I am back and ready to have a breakdown. My sweet little basset is no longer sweet, he is very naughty. I am so frustrated with his behaviour problems and the fact that I have not been able to fix them, I have another dog so its not like I am unfamiliar with this. I have tried the recommendations from this forum but they are not working. I have even resorted to using a bark collar on him which has worked to a point, he won't bark when its on he'll wait unitl its off, stinker. He is chewing on the actual carpet, brand new carpet and has put little runs in it. He has eaten three dog beds two of which were stellas. I am wondering if some of this is because we haven't been spending as much time with him. I hate to say it but I have a hard time spending any time with him because he gets on my nerves. If I try to pet him at all my other dog will come over, she is very patient, she'll wait her turn, he gets so jealous and attacks her. I can't give the cats attention because he has taken to chaseing them and he is so intrusive with his nose he jambs it up they're butts. He whines incessantley, and there is no identifiable reason he just went to the bathroom, I am sure it is because he is in his crate but he can't be let out unsupervised, he has eaten a few pairs of my shoes, he eats more cat poop than can possibly be healthy. we are trying to keep them away from it but so far have been unsuccessful. I would play fetch or take him for a walk but he is on restrictions because of his leg. And fetch means him barking and attacking stella for running at the ball, even though if you play with just him he won't go get it, he just doesn't want stella to have it. His potty training isn't too bad but as soon as you close the door he is scratching at the screen door, put a rip in it. My other dog can't have a bone or anything else because he'll throw a tantrum. I know all the answers to these questions but I have been so unsuccesful as of yet. Its not like he's hard to train he already can sit, stay and leave it. He is just so needy. I am sorry for ranting but it breaks my heart to feel this way about an animal. I understand that he is only 9 months old so I just keep hoping some of this will grow out of him.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How long have you had him? Has anything changed in the household that might have upset his routine? His behavior sounds like our formerly stray Gigi's the first month or so, though she's calming down just a bit now. She will let us pet George (sometimes) without stuffing her big Lab head in between us, and she doesn't chew stuff up as much now that I've gotten her some Lab-proof (so far!) toys and a big bone to gnaw on. We take her for long walks to wear off some energy -- I realize you can't do that with your basset at the moment, but maybe there's something safe for him you can do to wear off energy? It sounds to me, based on past experience with similar situations (and George was like this when we first got him and still has his moments) that your basset's trying to establish himself as Top Dog and wants all your attention. Maybe he's not getting enough attention. I understand you're finding it difficult to put up with his behavior, and I'm going through something similar with Gigi about half the time, but it really does help to have alone time with each animal where that one gets your undivided attention and doesn't have to compete with the others.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Having had multiple cats and dogs for many years, we found the best solution was to gate off a room for the cats, and to keep their food and litterbox in it. That way, the cats can escape the mayhem when they want and the dogs stay out of the cat food and litterbox. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like he just wants your attention. Could you maybe put your other dog outside for a little while and focus your attention solely on your basset? I don't know if it would help or not. My basset is always craving attention, but he gets plenty of it and I guess he doesn't feel the need to attack our 2 other dogs. Our lab chewed up the carpet and destroyed several doors when we put her in a room by herself. She definitely has separation anxiety. Maybe that's what your dog has.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definatly diagnose seperation anxiety. We crate them when we leave and we can hear him crying and barking from outside, quite a distance from the bedroom. the cats do have their own room, I am afraid to put the litterboxes in there though because it is carpet. I am sure he isn't getting enough attention, it is so hard when he dive bombs my face, It hurts. That nose of his, I'll tell ya :)

My question is how do you fix the jealousy, I am making sure that they both know that I am top dog but it seems that they are having a hard time with their own heirarchy. With stella I made sure that she knew that the cats are above her just to keep any competition away. I haven't been able to achieve that with duncan. Then again I know that stella will tease him, Just like a big sister, but for the most part she is very well behaved adn mannered. SHe puts up with so much from duncan. He chews on her legs like they are bones, he tries to bully her around he growls at her if she has a bone, he'll then steal it and when we give stella his bone that he abandoned he gets med then too.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If your having trouble with bones, give them one only when they are in there crates. You could put the litter boxes on top of throw rugs or in a larger shallow tub like a cement mixing type. I don't remember what problem your dog is having with his leg, but it does seem he could bennifet from more exercise. He also sounds like a real smarty, so more mental exercise might be in order, we like to play "seek". Also a strong sit and stay is helpful. Several short training sessions a day can't hurt. As far as him sniffing the cats butts, it won't hurt them. Some things are just best left ignored.

If he is not neutered yet, this would be a good time. I think his age is like having a 14 year old boy, if you don't keep him busy and send him to bed tired there'll be trouble.
Good Luck!
Joan

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
A few thoughts:

How long will his excersize be restricted because of his leg? It sounds like he's pretty hyper right now- I know you already know "a tired dog is a good dog". Maybe a kong, or something like that, would allow him to de-stress a little by chewing-

Can you do a few one -on -one short training sessions with him a few times each day? Just a couple of sit- stay- etc. with lots of praise when he does what you want. This will not only give him time with you alone, but it will allow him to be a "Good Boy!", with you in control of his behavior.

It sounds like both of you are going through a really hard time right now- wish I could offer more-

edited to say: It looks like joanr and I were posting the same thing at the same time-:) !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like my HOMER! I go through this all the time and he's 3! He came to us when he was 1.5 years old and he was just like that! He is still like that, although not as bad. He's mellowed some, but has a long way to go. He is very hyper, does not know the concept of "sharing" at all. I have two other dogs, Labs, plus cats that he torments. I love him to pieces, which helps a lot, but he is certainly not my idea of what a Basset is supposed to be like :unsure: I've had a behaviorialist in who diagnosed him as having been abused and was acting out in fear, not agression. He will even growl and snap if I try to grab something he has and really loves :angry: He seems to do it out of instinct, and then looks at you like "what did I do?" As I said before, he's getting better, and I've learned that sometimes I have to "trade" him an item for a piece of cheese, but I sure wish he was less hyper. He can't sit still - always on the move. Now, when I want to give the dogs a "busy bone," I put him and BJ in their crate and Sarah (she's 14) stays out and they enjoy their bones in peace. If I gave them each a bone, Homer would want all three!! :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you guys are all right, I feel better now that I have been able to vent to people who understand. Some of you may remember Duncan had a ulnar osteotomy of his right leg and is on restrictions for 6 weeks, 2 weeks to go. I know the cats will get over him shoving his nose up there butts, but the thing with cats is if there is any disruption they may decide to use the floor as a litter box. And with duncan he is a big disruption. If anyone has had cats, most prefer it to be calmer or at least a little quiet. Last night hubby spent time alone with him and he seemed much better when I came home from work last night. I even put him to bed today with a cardboard box, he loves them he rips it to bits and slobbers all over it. At least its not my shoes :rolleyes: I think that i expected a calmer dog based on the stereotypes, we are not really high energy people, so i thought we adopted accordingly. I 'll definatly do the individual sessions, I really think that is what he needs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
WARNING: The Following Is A Free Personal Opinion

Having raised Lab X's, Terrier X's, Border Terriers, and Basset Hounds over the years, I think Basset Hounds are the worst puppies ever! They are high energy, destructive, smart, sneaky, have industrial strength shredders for mouths, and bottomless pit stomachs (everything is a food group whether its edible or not). . .and usually commands like "NO!," "ENOUGH!," "STOP!," just give them an excuse to mouth off(g).

Basset pups most definitely need a very structured environment, early obedience (general manners) training (the Ruff Love/No Free Lunch type methods work very well), and tons and tons of exercise. they also need lots of attention. . .but not when they're acting out(g). More than most breeds, I believe Basset puppies need to be raised like dogs, not "furkids." :rolleyes: But, they sure are cute!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have had the exact opposite experience. As pups my bassets have been like adult dogs, with a calm demeanor and I have had no problems with their personality at all. People were suprised when I told them it was a pup, because they acted like grown dogs (lazy grown dogs :p ).

Yeah, not all people here have good skills differentiating between basset puppies and adult bassets. Perhaps because of the wrinkly face and the heavy body.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
That rest, recovery time can be rough. I can't even count the times Hap has driven me half nuts. I think games help an energic, smart dog. Maybe you guys could try tracking. Happy and I do some for fun. It might help with the bonding also.
Joan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts