Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I need help...I let Ryder outside and he barks the whole time. I used to think he was barking at the neighbors dogs, but sometimes they are not even outside and he still barks. I feel like he is being a bother to my other neighbors.

He is usually only out there for about an hour and I work from home so it is really hard for me to just leave him cooped up inside the whole day...any suggestions on the barking....

Please help...I am going CRAZY...it is really hard to work hearing him bark,bark,bark...

Maybe this is part of his puppy stage he is almost 5 months...

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
987 Posts
maybe he is bored out there. Could you go out and have a game with him? Or does he have another pup to play with out there?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know I know that Ryder is just a puppy and I was thinking about maybe getting another basset for him to play with...I was just worried about Ryder feeling left out with another basset. We spoil him so much that I just don't know how he would react. I thought about waiting until he was one he is only 4 1/2 months right now.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think bassets almost need another dog around because they are so incredibly social. I have 3 bassets and none of them feel left out. They play with each other and I have special things I do with each of them individually.

I suspect ryder is bored and that is why he barks. I know that working from home requires discipline or you could get so distracted that your work wouldn't get done, but could you take him for a long walk or play period midday? That might tire him out enough for a long afternoon nap.

good luck! Barking can be very annoying.

A

·
0 Posts
I agree with Elvis, that bassets are very social. And I think even more so as puppies because they are just FULL of energy. I can't speak from expierence from just having a single basset because I have always had pair and now three together. But I do know that when Mollie(the youngest basset) is outside alone she will howl and bark. But when all of them are outside they are playing and having a great time. Even during naps all three are sleeping together. It is sweet.

But don't just get one to get one. Make sure if you do decide to get one that it is what you want to do. If you don't then see if a friend or neighbor has a dog for yours to play with. My neighbors do this and their two dogs love each other so much.

Good luck....and hope the barking gets better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking at petfinder for the last few weeks because I definitely want to adopt. I just feel so bad for all of the animals that are just left behind.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
"He is usually only out there for about an hour and I work from home so it is really hard for me to just leave him cooped up inside the whole day..."

General you will find most bassets are happier cooped up inside with you than outside alone.

A

·
0 Posts
I too got Pearl when Sabe was only 6 months old. They are so bonded you very rarely see one without the other. yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
We adopted Molly when our Lab was about 1.5 years old. Molly was 6 months at that point. They go everywhere together, sleeep, play, you name it. We were concerned that our Lab would feel left out as well as she was the "first" dog in the house. It did take some adjustment but overall adopting Molly was a great decision--not to mention it introduced us to the wonderful world of Bassets!
I have found that when Molly barks outside, it is because she wants to play--well, that is unless there is a squirrel or some unknown invisible item around....
After she gets the play out of her system, she is fine.
Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had two about 2 years apart, and the younger still engaged in what you describe; barking at nothing for fun. Contrary to other posts, these two never engaged each other that much in play. Got along great, if left unattended would wander off into the woods together and return together, but just never "played" together. So, I would not promise that a companion would solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You could try buying this chewing bone from the pet store, the one that stuffed with peanut butter or cheese in the middle. They usually can't chew on the bone, but they will try to get the stuffing.
It will keep him busy for up to 2 hours!! Not bad at all....

Sometimes I give pig ears to my hounds. That will last 15-20 minutes only.

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby's not much of a barker, but I know for a face that she loves being inside with me and only wants to be outside when we are.

If you don't want two dogs, don't get another one just because yours barks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well my hopes of getting another basset hound seized as of today...

We just got back from the allergist for my 6 year old and he is allergic to several airborne allergens as well as several foods like milk,corn,peanuts,wheat...so much to worry about and this is going to be such a big change as far as his diet.

The doc suggested that we try to do all we can to keep the dander down.

I knew that he was highly allergic to cats but I did not know he was allergic to dogs still. It is not as bad as his cat allergies. When he was younger he used to get hives from dogs also but he no longer breaks out so I thought he grew out of it-which I guess he somewhat did.

My son told the doc that he loves his Ryder and that he does not make him itch.

So for now we are just going to continue spoiling Ryder more and more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Who knows what they bark at??? ...Bessie seems to bark at nothing sometimes too! But although we live in town we have lots of critters running around ....deer,coons,possum,and of course rabbits. I personaly wont get another dog because I seem to have a handful with Bess!! Just remember if you do have two you have twice the....everything! I work at home so she does'nt spend alot of time alone so my experience is probably different. And Bessie seems a bit different from alot of the dogs from this forum in that she does'nt beg for food or bark alot. Although Bessie is real smart I still know she is a dog and using advice from others like toughnutter and several books I find less problems if I just realise what is best for her and not spoil her too much. And she still loves us alot as we do her. J&S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts