Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well after a lot of discussions and a lot of worry we have decided to adopt a rescue. Or at least we are trying! We have a unique situation in the sense that Baxter is 6 and an obvious alpha dog. We are looking for an omega dog that likes children (almost5) and a cat. I am frustrated that I have called all of the rescues in my state and have had only one returned call. Am I being impatient? I also had an upsetting issue that I am hopefully going to resolve later this evening about a hound we are interested in fostering to adopt. I got the call on Saturday evening and explained that I needed to go over everything with my hubby and that I would call back, but that I was very excited and would she please send pictures. She did, and it was late that night so I did not call back. Early that next morning we went boating as planned and upon arriving home on Sunday early evening I called to make arrangements to meet the potential dog. I left a message and this morning, Monday AM, I received a email stating that she did not hear back from me on Saturday so she offered him to another home and if we were interested in a dog she would continue to look for a good match. I am heart broken. No phone call? No deadline? I now have this picture of a dog that was supposed to be ours and now is'nt available? Is this the way it works? I have to tell you, this is a major blip in my day. I called this morning after reading the email and asked for a call back. I have not received one yet. Did I do something wrong? I know how many houndies are out there. And I WILL provide a good home. I am just sad right now, and I feel like there should have been an expectation set. Thanks for listening.

Baxter's Mom

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
DON'T GIVE UP!!!! There are so many hounds needing homes that yours will find you.

Each rescue is different, but most are run by people who have other jobs and responsibilities. Sometimes it takes longer than potential fosters/adopters would like to get in touch with them. I know, I went through a rescue for one of my dogs before I got involved with the "other side" of rescues. It took several months and at times I was beyond frustrated!

Stay in touch with your local rescues, but you can also check Petfinder, the shelter etc. I've even adopted dogs that were abandoned at my vet's office!

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Each rescue is different, but most are run by people who have other jobs and responsibilities. Sometimes it takes longer than potential fosters/adopters would like to get in touch with them.
Good luck - let us know how it goes.[/b]
I think what Elvismom said is true- we had a similar experience.After our dachshund Hansel died 2 years ago, we tried to adopt a basset through a rescue organization.We filled out and submitted an application, but it was almost impossible to get someone to communicate with us. While I was pursuing this, we heard about a 3 year old dachshund whose owners were too old to care for her anymore. We drove from Pa. to Ct. to meet her, and my husband fell in love with her.

I know that if I had continued to pursue basset rescue, someone would have contacted us eventually, but fate intervened, and we ended up with Minna the dachshund instead of a basset!

I'll be interested to hear how things go-

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I completely understand your frustration. Rescue organizations have too few people working and like others said they have other jobs for the most part. This makes it difficult for them to always stay on top of things, therefore, frustrating for people who are trying to rescue. Hang in there. I filled out my application to rescue from a Basset rescue org, but didn't send it in yet when I found my boy Gibbs at a local shelter.

~Heather

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you don't mind telling me, where do you live?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to reach the woman who was responsible for the "misunderstanding" and "miscommunication". The dog that we were going to adopt had kennel cough and I would not be able to pick him up until the following week because I had a dog already, and anyway make a long story short she offered me the dog on Saturday and gave the dog to a family on Sunday, the day I replied back to her saying yes to the rescue dog. She PHYSICALLY already GAVE the dog to someone else. No phone call, no email, nothing. My DH is so irritated he does not want to deal with the woman. The other two rescues in my state have YET to return my now numerous phone calls. I am ready to go out of state if allowable at this point and time. I am frustrated because I am trying to do the right thing. We are wanting to provide a home for a pet that needs a FAMILY. One to spoil it, love, take care of it, and embrace every quirky thing about it! I am not even impatient that it has to be right now, I just want to be on somebodys list! How am I supposed to trust a rescue that they will make a good match when they can't even return a phone call? I know that these are volunteer positions, and I know these people are busy and have lives of their own but how do they expect to place dogs when they are'nt even returning phone calls? Call collect! I'll take the charges. By the way we live in Sarasota Fl. I was in Orlando and called the rescue over there three times hoping to connect with somebody. Gainesville too! We are willing to go where we need to, to find our new addition. I can see why people have good intentions, get frustrated, and then buy a dog. I have been searching through Pet Finder and that is where the contact numbers come from. And also daily drool. I did not mean to be rude about the lady who gave our potential dog away. She did explain that she gets a ton of telephone calls and when I did not respond that night she took it as if we did not want the dog. I was really upset. I have his picture, his name, I really felt like it was a lost refferal. Again, sorry for the rambling, and if anyone knows of a dog let me know! Thanks for listening.

Baxter's mom

·
Registered
775 Posts
You didn't say which rescue it was but Suncoast Rescue is in fla but may also want to try http://www.bhrg.org/index.html. There are lots of wonderful dogs there. I live in Ga. and would be glad to help any way I can.

·
Registered
465 Posts
http://www.heatherweb.com/cyberhound/board...?showtopic=4400

Check out the above post, Joanloneranger. He's in Roanoke. 3 hours from me . . . I really wanted to get him, but the inn is full. Maybe he's still available and something could be worked out.

The post was from last week. Basset needs home now. I'm not sure how to paste the post into this message. He's in Roanoke. Name is Einstein. A cute guy! Roanoke Animal Welfare League has him if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Elmer and Button, I think Roanke is a little too far away. To answer your question I contacted both Suncoast and BHR, I believe it was BHR that wa the lost refferal. ANd again, I left another message for Suncoast. I just don't get it. I am trying to be patient, even checked my local HS. Thanks foe trying to give possible solutions I really appreciate it.

Baxters Mom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**************UPDATE**************

We are now the proud owners of a new furbabie! His name is Buster Brown, and he is precious! As some of you may know I was very frustrated with leaving messages for all of the rescues in our area. After not recieving any feedback I started calling breeders to see if they knew of any dogs available. Not puppies, just unwanted dogs. Well. one of the breeders I contacted was very involved with Suncoast Rescue and I explained about the whole did not return my messages, ect and low and behold I was contacted that same day by the rescue! It was after that I had my home evaluation and the wonderful volunteer brought her foster with her just to see Baxter's temperment and I fell in love with her foster! I truly believe it was just meant to be! Anyway, I will post pictures later, I am still trying to adjust to two furbabies! He is settling in wonderfully and Baxter is doing better than we ever expected. He is still very greedy over his things, but in time, that will lessen. Just a funny story, while getting into bed Baxter was so worried that some of his treasures would be pirated from the "new dog" that we had to sleep with 7, yes that is right, 7 dog bones! Too funny! More later!

Thanks for listening,
Amanda- mama to TWO crazy basset babies, an almost 5 year old two legger, and Speedy the cat who is less than amused over the new addition to the house! :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am so glad that things finally worked out for you. I know it was frustrating, but your persistance payed off with what sounds like the perfect addition. Can't wait to se pics.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome Home Buster Brown!!

I am so happy that everything worked out and that your life will be enriched by the antics of 2 houndies.

I'll also be anxious to see if they learn to "share". Mine refuse to learn the meaning of the word!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure where you're located, but this goes out to everyone! The other day, my parents were supposed to help transport a basset to a foster home through Mid-Atlantic basset rescue. Turns out that he is a basset mix (a basset body with beagle ears, according to my mom.) His foster plans fell through, and my parents can't foster him, since their beagle must be an "only child." He is currently at the Hudson Valley Humane Society shelter on Quaker Rd. in Pomona, NY (about 1 hour north-west of NYC.) His name is Joe, he's about 18 months old, and a sweety from what my mom tells me! She's hearbroken that he's not in a foster, or better yet, an adoptive home! If you are interested in adopting him, please contact Suzanne at Mid-Atlantic Basset Rescue ([email protected]) and ask about Joe, the basset mix, and mention that you heard about him from Rose Hughes.

I'd love to know that he's gone to a good home, and to put my mom's mind at ease!!

Thanks,
Rose

1 - 16 of 16 Posts