Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

I haven't heard much about Comfortis until recently. A few of my dog-lover friends are giving it to their furkids and my dad is also giving it to his.

Is there any big advantage to using the pill over the drops? I am interested in trying.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Confortis is not effective and approved for ticks in my area ticks are more of a problem than fleas.

advantages are there is no greasy spot once a month that you should avoud touching on the dog. It is faster acting in killing fleas so for use on an infested dog it start to work much quicker, but it does not have a growth regulator so it is only effective against adult does not kill larvea or eggs like Frontline plus or K9 advantics and is not effective on anything other than fleas such as ticks.

Flea product comparison

Comparative Efficacy of a Combination of Fipronil/(S)-Methoprene, a Combination of Imidacloprid/Permethrin, and Imidacloprid Against Fleas and Ticks When Administered Topically to Dogs
translate to read Frontline plus ( fipronil/(s)-methoprene) K9 advantixII = Imidacloprid/Permethrin Advantix= Imidacloprid

Keep in mind it is not clear who paid for the study given the result it is likely Frontline. There is a strong tendency for the results of a study to favor those paying for it when any compaorison is done even if all scientic procedures double blind etc are followed.

however the fipronil/(S)-methoprene group had significantly (p<0.05) fewer ticks than imidacloprid/permethrin on Days 21 and 28. Overall, in this study the combination of fipronil/(S)-methoprene provided consistent and high levels of efficacy against fleas and ticks throughout the entire month, significantly superior to that of either imidacloprid/permethrin or imidacloprid alone. Additionally, imidacloprid alone performed better against the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis) than the combination product of imidacloprid/permethrin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts