Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Palz,

My person got me a gummy frisbee that's just my size.
Me likes to chew it.

However, me dunno how to catch it & my person dunno how to teach me to catch the flying frisbee...

anyone have thoughts on how i could learn this?
(instead of it just hitting my face... it's a sight to see! me asks the peeples, 'how wuld u like it if i threw something big at ur face & expect u to catch it????')
--Worm

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I tried the frisbee thing...that was the problem...I tried....he just looked at me like I was crazy. After a week, I finally gave up. Please keep us up-dated....am wondering if it is even basset possible. maybe if I covered it with something like gravy?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I bounced a frisbee off Lightning's head a few times before giving up. Unless he thinks it's food, he's not going for it. Better luck with worm, but I don't recall seeing any bassets at the frisbee championships.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I have never had a basset who was interested in catching frisbees.

If I recall correctly (it's been over 30 years) our lab started by simply chasing the frisbee, eventually he started catching it before it hit the ground. So if the dog shows any interest in the frisbee at all, don't throw it at him throw it away and let him chase it. Catching the frisbee is NOT like catching a ball or a treat.

EDIT: Here is one of many pages on teaching your dog to catch a frisbee: http://www.d-dog.com/Downloads/GettingStarted.pdf

DO
1. Throw the disc on the ground, rolling it like a wheel. This will allow the dog to get used to chasing it without a bad experience of possibly getting hit by a flying disc.
2. Allow the dog to have fun, and don’t worry too much if they lose interest and/or don’t bring the disc back.
3. Use a happy voice and try to convince your dog this is the best thing since Doggy Biscuits. Always make training an extra special time.
4. Dogs who are not interested in the disc may be enticed to play with it by sliding the disc on the ground in circles in front of the dog. They will pounce on the disc, and when they do, throw a roller and the dog should follow it. Some trainers will actually rub the disc lightly along the dogs torso to entice them to bite at it, but care should be taken not to cause the dog to associate fear with the disc, so make sure you talk to your dog with a happy, reassuring voice while doing this step.
5. Put the discs away when you are not there. You dog should realize the disc is a special toy that is only available when you are there.

DO NOT
1. DO NOT throw the disc directly at the dog. You want to avoid hitting the dog with the disc, especially in the face. Doing so could result in the dog developing a fear of the disc.
2. DO NOT push the dog to hard, to the point it is no longer having fun. If your pooch loses interest, then quit for now and start when you are both fresh.
3. DO NOT encourage a dog under 14 months to leap. The stress of landing can damage a dog that is not fully developed. If a young dog is a reckless leaper, then keep your throws low. Concerned owners can request that their veterinarian take x-rays to determine if their dog’s growth plates have closed and they can begin jumping.

( Remember, if both you and your pup are not having fun, then you are trying too hard! )

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments & suggestions :)
Looks like it might be an uphill climb for my person to teach me this :mellow:

it's ok, tho, we already have it, so we'll try out these suggestions & see where it goes. love the 'dippin' it in gravy' suggestion!

and Mikey, that is a kewl frisbee!! my person says she has more confidence in me figuring out how to get the treats out of the velcro pocket, than catching the frisbeee...!

we'll let u know how it goes.
--Worm

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer tries to catch the frisbee; he opens his mouth and jumps for it, but doesn't quite have the hang of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts