Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was wondering if anyone feeds their bassets fresh meals? If so I was wondering what is a good meal for them? Currently we are feeding them purina dog food with some soft meat flavored pieces and a salmon oil additive. I just want to feed my pups the best meal for them and everywhere I look it’s different. Thanks in advance ❤

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
We currently feed 3 of our 12 raw because of cancer diagnoses. One should not go into feeding raw without doing due diligence in getting educated on canine nutrition there many resources on raw or Barf diets on the net besure to read both the positive and negative points of view before getting started.
OiOur basic recipe consists of chicken quarter and pork shoulder. With lesser amount of egg, oily fish, organ meat, and finely ground vegetables and added healthy fats which means no fats extracted from grain or sunflower or safflower oil. We still supplement with multivitamin and all do

even the kibble fed ones get mct and fish oil supplements. For the dogs on kibble it is a proplan perfomance food but we routinely change up the main protein and carb sources

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
One can never now what is best for a single individual dog. In general dog especial dog bred for endurance rather than speed do best on a high fat low carb diet. This is especially true with scent dogs.

When it comes to manufactured dog food you have basically two options. 1 talk to the breed and find out what they feed and why. Often you will find they have. Done lots of experimenting to find what works best overall for there line. Given the genetics involved that is the best place to start with you dog
2 run you own experiment. . Buy a small bag of a particular food and see how the dog does on it. You will likely find out that many of the highly touted premium brands do not work out so well for your dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts