Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My first time posting here. Our family is a little sad today because our basset is having surgery to remove a small ball from his intestines. He hasn't been his self since Friday. I was thinking he may have had an upset stomach but he still didn't perk up Sat. or today. We brought him to the vet to check him out and the x-ray shows there is a small ball in his intestines. We have 3 kids who try to help us keep the toys picked up and we keep watch for stuff like this on the floor so we can keep it away from Fred (who loves to throw them around and play with them). Obviously one was missed either inside the house or outside some time and he found it. The vet said it could have been in his stomach for a while or it could have happened recently. He is still in good spirits and was so happy to go for a ride until he saw the vets office then he decided he was okay and that we could go home again. He is such a trooper! Soon he will be good again and harassing the chipmunks in the yard. No more little rubber balls for our house anymore, sorry kids. Please keep Fred in your thoughts until he is out of surgery. Thanks for listening.

Pam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet called and said that everything went okay. It was a shooter marble that he got stuck in him. We'll probably save that marble because it's the most expensive marble we've ever had. Fred should be home tomorrow. It sure is quiet without his nails clicking through the kitchen to follow me. Thanks for the drool Moose Jaw, it is appreciated very much!

Pam

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome and I am sorry about Fred. I have 3 bassets Copper 15months and Patty and Dolly 4 months and I am very surprised that one of them haven't done the same thing. Just last week we had our golden retriever at the vet because the whole side of his heat was swollen. We were afraid he had been bitten by something well turned out the silly boy had a stick stuck in the roof of his mouth and had caused an absese. He is all better now and I hope your Fred will be soon. Sending some more healing drool from Georgia.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing OK!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome to the Board. Hope the next time you post it is of crazy bassets - not bassets going to the vet.

We're all so happy the suregery went well and hope he comes home very, very soon!

It is amazing the mischief they can get into without even trying. I swear that sometimes I spend hours just keeping them from getting into things they shouldn't.

Lots of drool for you baby.

Chris, slave to Elvis, Georgia, Ginger & Maggie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone! Fred came home today. The vet said that when they offered him food he just vaccumed it right up. He is on a bland diet for a couple of days. We are only supposed to feed him small meals quite a few times a day and he wants to eat the whole can of food. Tonight he seems even perkier than today so I know he is feeling better. And the marble? My son looked at it and said "Hey that's my marble!" I told him not any more, it's staying in the container just where it's at.
Thanks again for your drool!

Pam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts