Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There! I'm new to this group but a long-time basset hound owner. I currently have 2: Franklin and Eleanor. I also have an honorary basset, Marmalade, who is really a great dane, raised by the bassets. She thinks she is a basset to the point of howling and sitting like them.

Ok. My question. Franklin is 7, will be 8 in November. Last month, we noticed that he was having troubles with stiffness after sitting on his butt or sleeping. I took him to the vet on Monday and he has osteoarthritis. The vet prescribed special diet doggy food (Franklin is 92 pounds, but always been enormous) and the use of 1000 mg glucosamine/800 Chondritin per day. She told me not to exercise him until he drops at least 10-15 pounds for fear of blowing out his knee/hip.

She told us to wait and see if he improves before doing anything else.

He does not seem to be in pain at all. Just particularly slow.

Is this a normal course of therapy?

Thanks!
Alisa

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Weight loss, meds, and low impact exercise in moderation are commonly used to manage arthritis in dogs. A warm, draft-free sleeping area with cushioned bedding is also helpful.

Does you dog have arthritis of the hips, or back, or somewhere else?

·
Registered
932 Posts
My Daisy Mae also takes Rimadyl and it has made a huge difference. We keep her on a small maintainence dose and increase it as needed (she gets achier during cold damp weather).

A

·
0 Posts
my guy takes glucosomine, chondroitin with MSM the msm is sup to be for pain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts