Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cross-posting this information from another basset-related board because I think its very important. This fellow's basset developed a huge abcess on his head (the swelling caused his eye to close) that had to be surgically drained last night, and maybe again today. Here's the reason why:

" just spoke with the vet and it was an abscess caused by a centimeter long foxtail (grass seed pod). The vet said that the large swelling on the top of his head is down significantly this morning and he's looking much better. The problem now is that the area on his upper lid right above his eye is still very swollen and red. He's thinking that there is a second pocket of abscess in there and is going to go back in and flush that area out as well. He thinks there may be more seed pod in there, but won't know until he gets in there. I'll let you know what happens. I guess the problem with the foxtails is that once they get in through the eye, they can travel throughout the body once they enter the eye. Here's a site with more info...

http://www.almostheaven-golden-retriever-r...og-dangers.html "

Watch your houndies. Poor Larry's really suffered with this. Best wishes to all.

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Janet, do you have permission to crosspost the quote from the other list? Just so there are no hard feelings, it's a good idea to indicate the the original poster has given permission. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, didn't know the protocol. I'm checking with the owner for permission. He's pretty busy now that his dog's home from the vet, but if I don't get it soon, I'll have you remove the post. Sorry.

Modified to say: I do have his permission and have given him the link to here. When he has time he may come and add to the post. Thanks.

Janet 'n Twink

[ November 02, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Twinkie's Mum ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody. I'm Larry's owner and I have no problem with Janet cross posting over here. The more people that know about this potential threat, the better. I'm happy to say that he's doing much better this morning, although, he still does have quite a bit of healing to do. It really was an awful ordeal.

Paul

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Paul, Thanks for that info. Foxglove is quite dense in some of the areas that I walk my dogs. Never thought in a million years that it could be so dangerous. Never knew what it was until I looked at the link (thanks Janet). Will certainly take them another route from now on.

Hope Larry continues to improve,I suppose it could have been worse, according to that link they can travel through the body to the lungs etc at least you got before it could wreck any more havoc.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I grew up in Southern Calif. in the 60's and our first Basset Daisy got a foxtail up her nose. Very scary, vet got it out. Not a fun thing. Belinda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
He continues to improve daily, but I'm going to be spending much of this weekend getting the remainder of the foxtail out of the back yard. It's beyond going to seed at this point, so hopefully we're in the clear for awhile too. He must have picked his up sniffing around somewhere. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Also a serious problem if a foxtail gets stuck in the ear canal. Scary stuff....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Years ago we had a wonderful Lab, my husband's hunting partner, who had a foxtail travel from the entry site between the toes of his webbed front paw to a spot near his shoulder blades. We were unaware, no limping, until an abscess formed in the shoulder blade area, and we took him to the vet. Quite the mess and infection throughout his entire leg. It took several rounds of antibiotics clear things up. The vet told us we were fortunate to have discovered the abscess early, that he had removed legs of several dogs who did not get treatment in time over the years of his practice. Scary!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dumb question here. Do we have this kind of grass in Texas(esp. Dallas) ?

Mike M

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks. Those photos look very familiar. We do have them here.

Mike M and Max

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never knew this!! Thanks for the information! I will keep an eye out for it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts