Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. On my way into work today a few of the girls stumbled across a sweet senior basset wandering in the road near our office. Per the vet, he is probably 10-12 years old and seems decently well cared for for his age. It seems pretty clear that this is someone's pet and I'm hopeful that they are looking for him. He was found in downtown Monroe, NC this morning (Feb 28, 2011). Please pass this along to any and everyone you know in the area. I would just love to help this old boy find his way home! Thanks so much!

Julie

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Julie, God bless you for taking this old guy in. Can I suggest that if you are advertising him locally that you do not say' Basset found' but 'dog found'. Some nuts out there will claim a dog for unscrupulous reasons. If someone contacts you and they give the wrong breed then please do not tell them it's a basset as they then go and get a friend to phone saying they have lost their basset.

If the real owners don't turn up, could I ask that you contact Basset Rescue if you can no longer keep him.

Thanks again for taking him in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I had thought about that... but concluded that with a 12 year old neutered dog there aren't too many unscupulous things to do with him. But you're probably right, this is all new to me. I've already contacted the local basset rescue in hopes that someone has contacted them about him. I'd never turn him over to anyone else.

Could really use some advice here. I feed my golden retriever Holistic Select Chicken and Rice. Figured it might be a little more hearty than what he's used to but chances are anything I could give him would be a change. He took a few bites and turned his nose up at it. This boy really needs to get some food in him. Any suggestions? We're in the middle of a pretty serious storm here, so I'll have to make due with what I have on had. Maybe some boiled chicken?

Julie

·
Registered
616 Posts
You might try the chicken and see if he will eat it. If you have any canned dog food on hand you might try that as well. It could be that he's stressed out from being lost and being in a new environment and that's causing him not to eat. But never fear, I have yet to come across a basset that won't eat when they get hungry enough. He might come around soon...and just another thought but perhaps the vet's office gave him a bunch of treats so he wasn't very hungry.

Good luck on finding his owner and bless you for being such a kind soul to take him in!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww bless you for taking this dear old guy in. I hope nobody has abandoned him because he is elderly.... :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Running late for agility, but wanted to let everyone know that I found this old boy's family! I'll fill in the details after class. Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, we're back! So this morning on my way out to my first appointment I was running through my list of people to call about the dog. When I got down to Animal Services, they said they'd had a call from someone looking for a Basset but they had gotten voice mail when they'd called back and had no more information than that. So I gave them a description of the old boy and told them if the description matched to pass my number along to the person. Not 5 minutes later I got a call from a man named Steve who was very happy to inform me that the old man in my back seat was named Cooper. He confirmed my suspicions that the dog is deaf and clearly knew about his little quirks. Unfortunately I was already well on my way out into the country... so Cooper got to spend the day driving around with me. I met up with Steve after my last patient and it was great to see the two of them together!! Apparently Cooper took off while he and his wife were getting the kids ready for school and they'd put him out to potty. His collar was taken off for his bath a day or 2 before and somehow just hadn't made it back on him. The old boy had made it quite a distance to my work (probably 2 or 3 miles... which really isn't that much, but for those short legs and old bones it must have seemed like quite a trek). He sure is a tough old boy! Here's a few photos of our night and of course one of the happy reunion! :D

Love his expression in this photo. This was right after we got home.

Cooper and my golden retriever Jersey hanging out

Cooper was looking for a soft place to rest and took to some towels I had out so I moved them near the couch. Jealous Jersey wanted to share:

My view from the couch :)

I brought the towels into my bedroom and he slept on them all night. How cute is this guy?

And today's reunion with his owner! It was so nice to see them together.. wish I could have been a fly on the wall for his homecoming with the rest of the family!

So that's that. Mark Cooper in the win column! Also to update, Cooper did take the food I offered on our second try last night and had another good meal this morning. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions!

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, you got me working my waterworks on that story. So nice to have such a happy ending! Thank you for sharing and for caring for Cooper!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yay for happy endings!!! I'm gald you took care of him until you could find his owner.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Those great pics told the whole story. Thanks for filling us in from start to finish. Delighted at this happy ending. Oh and Julie, you're my HERO!!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww just such a heart-warming story that brought tears (happy ones) to my eyes,
especially seeing Cooper reuinted with his happy looking daddy! :D WELL DONE YOU!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks so much for the photos.I was a little afraid he had been dropped off because of a medical problem the people didn't want to deal with . Restores a little hope that there are folks like you and Mr.Cooper out there.Yeah,tears are running down my face too. This was a good day!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hooray for Cooper, Hooray for Cooper's family, Hooray for you, a good samaritan!

Thanks for taking the time to help the old guy out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts