Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't posted in a while, but wanted to put this out there. We found a basset puppy in our yard 2 days ago. We already have 4! He seems to be about 8-10 months old. Maybe younger. He had no collar on and didn't seem to have been out for long. He is well groomed (better than mine right now) and is housetrained (lucky me). He was thristy but not hungery. he is getting along well with the others. After we let him cool down and drink, I put him in the car and drove up and down the streets asking anyone I could find if they knew him or someone with a lost dog - no luck. I called Petsmart and Petco and asked if they had any flyers for a lost Basset - nothing. I put flyers up on all the mailboxs. Tried Pets911 and FindFido.com. I will be taking him to the vet to get scanned to see if he has a chip. Any thing else I should try? If I was his mamma I would be frantic! He is very well behaved and loving. I'm sure someone is missing him. Any other suggestions if he doen't have a chip?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very strange.

I would contact you local shelter in case the dog owner tries to contact them.

I would also consider the possibility that the dog was abandoned at your home by someone who didn't want to keep it and knew you had a number of bassets. I don't know if bassets are more common where you are, but having one show up would be a HUGE coincidence here.

Missjoy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That thought had crossed my mind. Bassets aren't real common in this area, but we do have a rescue and do see some from time to time. Mostly where we live there are more dogs like pit bulls, and labs or mixed breeds. Very strange.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I agree with Missjoy--it sounds like someone opened your gate and deliberately left the dog in your yard. I've heard of this happening to others who have several bassets and an unlocked gate. It sure makes for mixed feelings...how dare someone abandon a puppy, but at least they were trying to leave him with someone who obviously loves bassets...?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I agree, it seems to be planned. At least they left the puppy somewhere they knew it would be treated well.

Some little abandoned puppies aren't that lucky.

If I found a basset puppy in my yard, I'd keep it! :p

Sandy

·
Registered
29 Posts
This happened to my brother a couple years ago. He found a 4 month old puppy (Schnauzer mix) in his completely fenced in backyard. My brother had a couple puppies, so we think that's why they chose his yard. I took him in, and tried everything to locate his owners with no luck. I was told by the Humane Society that this happens more than you think.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hopefully the dog is chipped, but being that it showed up at a house with other bassets makes me think that it probably isn't chipped, who would ditch a chipped dog? Whats one more dog? ;)

~Heather

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree :D ! My husband and I are falling in love with him. He is sooo good! No accidents, rarely barks and is so loving. He seems to be adjusting well. Zoey is a little jealous and barks at him, but will play with him. I can't get to the vet today ( they are too busy due to the holiday) so I will have to go tomorrow. If he is not chipped and no one calls, we will keep him. Kinda hoping thats what happens. :D . Thanks for the imput!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I suspect that he was put in your yard for all the reasons mentioned above. I live in a relatively rural area and have had several dogs left on my doorstep over the years. We always seem to find room for "one more".

Sounds like you may have a new addition to your family! If the original owner does turn up I hope they have a good explaination for the pup showing up in your yard.

Good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
45 Posts
<div align="center">BET YOU CAN'T OWN JUST ONE!

Why own a dog? There's danger you know
You can't own just one, the craving will grow

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger
While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

One dog is so funny, and two are no trouble
The third one is easy, the fourth one's a honey

The fifth's delightful, the sixth one's a breeze,
You find you can live with a house full with ease.

So how 'bout another? Would you really dare?
They're really quite easy, but Lord, the hair.

With dogs on the sofa, and dogs on the bed,
And crates in the kitchen, It's no bother, you've said,

They're really no trouble, their manners are great,
What's just one more dog, and one more crate?

The sofa is hairy, the windows are crusty,
The floor is all footprints, the furniture is dusty,

The housekeeping suffers, but what do you care?
Who minds a few nose prints, and a little more hair?

So let's keep a puppy, you can always find room,
And a little more time for the dust cloth and broom,

There's hardly a limit to the dogs you can add,
The thought of a cutback sure makes you sad.

Each one is so special, so useful, so funny,
The vet, the food bills grow larger, you owe money,

Your folks never visit, few friends come to stay,
Except other dog folks, who live the same way.

Your lawn has now died, and your shrubs are dead too,
But your weekends are busy, you're off with your crew,

There's dog food and vitamins, and training and shots,
And entries and motels which cost lots and lots.

Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
Then your favorite dog comes and climbs in your lap,

His look says you’re special, and you know that you will
Keep all of the critters, in spite of the bill.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN</div>

·
Registered
608 Posts
:D :D :D Love the poem Kat!! ............

What a sad yet wonderful story :) (sounds like your brigade will soon be an army ;) )

If anyone calls for him, I would make sure they could describe him right down to the length of his nails. Heard of people seeing a poster for a lost dog and calling on the off chance that the finder will hand the dog over.

Have you got a name yet? Reminds me of the story of 'Moses' being left in the hope that he has a better life :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've gone through a couple of names to see if he responds. Right now it's Max. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sadeyes is right about being careful when someone calls.

Years ago in NM a lab that used animals for testing would call "Found" ads to get it's dogs and cats. They got shut down, but I'm sure others still do it.

We need pics, though!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On our flyers we only put "Found: Basset Hound" and our number. We will ask many questions before giving him to anyone. I'll be taking him in a couple of hours to see if he has a chip. Not sure what to do if he does. Will they give me the info for me to call them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
:D :D :D If anyone calls for him, I would make sure they could describe him right down to the length of his nails. Heard of people seeing a poster for a lost dog and calling on the off chance that the finder will hand the dog over.[/b]
When I put out the found ad for the dog in my brother's ad, I only put Found - small dog. Call ---- to describe. I had one lady call that insisted that I describe the dog to her. I wouldn't and asked her to describe the dog she was missing. She wouldn't do it, and I'm convinced that had I given her a description, she would have called back and gave it right back to me.

Today, in our local paper, there were two found ads. One for a female doxie found out of town, and one for a male doxie in town. The odd thing was that they both had the same phone number listed. Something sounded fishy there!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bev, I think you are dead right. They get info from you as to what the dog looks like, and then they get someone else to phone with the right info. :( Personally, I would only inform the police and the shelter if I found a dog. I think if someone is anxious to get it back then those are the first places they would call.

Basset Brigade, got to say Moses is my fav, followed closely by Claude, Dumbo,& humphrey. Often hear names on this forum and think' if I ever get another basset I am going to call him that' just can't remember them right now . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We just got back from the vet and there was no chip. How long should we keep trying until we can claim him as ours? It has been 3 days and my husband is ready to take the flyers down. I told him to wait just in case. I think his name is Mickey. A little girl said that is what his name should be and now he is answering to it. I so wish they could talk! Then again - Zoey would never stop :D !

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I would be WAY beyond frantic if Moe got lost. I don't even like to think about how I'd feel!

It's too bad you are so far away... I would love another Basset. We are hoping that someday soon another young Basset will come our way (or a Corgi, or a Dachshund - and my friend is pushing me towards a Yorkie!). Whatever we end up with, we are certain it will be another shelter dog (like Moe) or rescue dog (like Tally).

·
Registered
465 Posts
You'll be doing the right thing to keep him. If anyone cared about him, they'd be claiming him by now. :mellow:

IT'S MEANT TO BE!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts