Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am may be fostering bassets for the ohio basset rescue (pending application process) and I was just wondering if any one had any advice or suggestions of what I need to do to get my house prepared. I have a 16 week old basset now and a cat. I just would like some insight from you guys, so many of you are so wise when it comes to bassets, so let me know what you think and what i should expect. Thank you

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you have something that you treasure, put it away, or the dog could chew it up. Bless you for the time and effort.
Joan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, for the most part my house is "puppy proof" but I can do better, I am really excited, hopefully I will hear with in the next couple days, if i am accepted, thanks again

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The best advice I can give about fostering is to be prepared for anything. That means good along with some possible problems.

We've been fostering for about a year now and have had an incredible variety of fosters. One we couldn't part with so she is now a member of our household. The others I let go very reluctantly because each one of them stole a piece of my heart.

I think a lot of patience can be required. YOu often don't know what the background of you foster is, but whatever happened (abandoned, owner relinquish etc) the dog has been abandoned by people he/she probably trusted. If you get into a situation you are unsure of - call the people at your rescue! I'm sure they've dealt with almost anything.

The hardest thing for me is not being too critical of a potential new family. I never really want to let any of them go, but I also HAVE to know they will be loved and well cared for. It's always a very delicate balancing act for me.

It's also the best feeling in the world to KNOW your foster has found the perfect home.

I hope you have a wonderful time doing this!! There is such an overwhelming need for foster homes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sad news unfortunatley I can't be a foster for bassets due to the fact that I don't have a fenced in yard :cry: I was so disappointed but I told them as soon as I got a fenced in yard I would be hunting them down. Its just so upsetting, I mean what is better living in a kennel or living in a warm home with another basset friend and a family to take care of them, but they are the professionals and they know what is best. So as soon as I get a fence I am trying again. SO thanks for all the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts