Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we adopted Anabelle in March we've been working to housetrain her. We installed a dog door and give her senior bladder support supplements so she can hold it longer and make it outside without having to ask us. She is about 8 years old and was a stray/shelter dog for at least the last year, maybe longer, so we're not sure she was ever housetrained.

We'd made significant progress where she was having maybe 1 accident a week or so, but in the last week or so we've had a lot of rain with the Alex storm, and now she seems to have "forgotten" her housetraining. In fact she refuses to go outside at all unless we are outside and coaxing her out the door, even on clear sunny days. I wonder if maybe the concrete porch is hot on her paws since it is in the direct Texas sunlight, but I'm not sure how to fix that without buying an expensive shade structure (we rent our house).

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliably housetraining a senior stray basset? We've been praising and giving her a treat when she potties outside but had stopped a month or two ago when she seemed to get the idea.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm so pleased you have given a good home to a stray Basset and if your porch has a concrete floor that gets hot, can you place a rug on the floor to absorb some of the heat? We all need patience with Bassets re toilet training and hopefully she'll soon cotton on, especially if you praise her when she wees outside for you. Bassets are very sensitive and I don't think they like being told off so hopefully all will be well pretty soon.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so pleased you have given a good home to a stray Basset and if your porch has a concrete floor that gets hot, can you place a rug on the floor to absorb some of the heat? We all need patience with Bassets re toilet training and hopefully she'll soon cotton on, especially if you praise her when she wees outside for you. Bassets are very sensitive and I don't think they like being told off so hopefully all will be well pretty soon.
Hm a rug is an interesting idea. It would quickly be ruined because she sometimes pees right on the porch, but if it were inexpensive I wouldn't care.

I have a lot of patience but my husband doesn't when it comes to this; he never had to pick up dog messes inside as a kid like I did so he finds it revolting.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
We've been praising and giving her a treat when she potties outside but had stopped a month or two ago when she seemed to get the idea.
It thakes longer and more dilligence to housetrain an older dog than a puppy because you have a lot more bad habbits to overcome but the methodology is not different. A common failure of housetraining is the assumption that a lack of accidents means the dogs understand when in reality is is just simply better management on your part. Loosen standard etc and the dog regresses. Maintain training and keep in mind any behavior that is not reward will begin to wane over time so even for a dog that is housetrained it s a good idea to reward it for doing so at least occasionally.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you all recommend I do when I catch her in the act inside? Yesterday I caught her and clapped a few times to startle her. I grabbed her and started to walk her out the back door but when we got close she rolled over, knowing I can't pick her up to get her outside. It doesn't feel right to physically drag her out the door... I don't want her to associate fear with her needing to go outside.

I have seen some people recommend ignoring it and just treating when she goes outside. But she will pee inside even if I'm standing right next to her; she makes no effort to hide it, so I don't think she thinks peeing inside is bad.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I do when I catch her in the act inside? Yesterday I caught her and clapped a few times to startle
If you interupt her she will still have to go. You can get away with waching her like a hawk and praise her when she does go oustside on her own make that an extra special reward i.e special treat or multiple treats (number not size counts)

One thing I have a bit of difficulty with housetrain older dogs and using a doggie door is they know to use the door to go out when they want to go out but not associating going out on there own to potty. They wait to be told to go out or find a spot in the house if they are not told. By putting the dog on a schedule so you know when they will need to go watch them closely to precent accident but praise a reward lavishlywhen they do go out on their own is the secret otherwise they rely on you to tell them when to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since we adopted Anabelle in March we've been working to housetrain her. We installed a dog door and give her senior bladder support supplements so she can hold it longer and make it outside without having to ask us. She is about 8 years old and was a stray/shelter dog for at least the last year, maybe longer, so we're not sure she was ever housetrained.

We'd made significant progress where she was having maybe 1 accident a week or so, but in the last week or so we've had a lot of rain with the Alex storm, and now she seems to have "forgotten" her housetraining. In fact she refuses to go outside at all unless we are outside and coaxing her out the door, even on clear sunny days. I wonder if maybe the concrete porch is hot on her paws since it is in the direct Texas sunlight, but I'm not sure how to fix that without buying an expensive shade structure (we rent our house).

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliably housetraining a senior stray basset? We've been praising and giving her a treat when she potties outside but had stopped a month or two ago when she seemed to get the idea.
as for the hot concreate, try a throw rug or even a piece of old rug that is what I did, my back porch when the dog door is gets direct sun all day is usually 15 to 25 degrees hotter back there than out front. we put a rug down and now the dogs go in and out also gives them some place to lay in the sun if they want..we just used an old piece of carpet we found at a yard sale, keep up the work and she will get the idea...being a rescuer is commendable , keep up the good work. she may be fearful to go out because of the storm you had so keep that in mind keep reasuring her that she is safe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts