Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation, I relinquished my baby girl Daisy (2yrs old)spayed basset to NEBHR in hopes of her finding a forever home- while in foster care the board members deemed Daisy unadoptable due to some aggresive behaviour with toys and such. As it stands they can not and will not adopt her out due to Daisy being a liability. Understandable. But now I need to retrieve Daisy and bring her back to my home where I don't have the time for her and such behaviours as I have 2 small children which are 20 months old and 2 1/2 months old. Is there anyone out there that has the time and money to take Daisy in and give here one on one training with a behaviourist?? If I don't find anyone soon I am afraid that I will have to make the decision to have her put to sleep. Please help this sweet, semi aggresive gal?! You may email me at [email protected]- Please help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here DAISY is, please someone can you give her a loving home with patients and behavior training??
DAISY

Moderators please delete my 1st 2 attempts at posting a picture. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Please help this sweet, semi aggressive gal?!
What does "semi aggressive" mean? Why was Daisy initially placed with NEBHR? I know you said you wanted to find her a forever home but what was going on that led you to the decision to relinquish her to a rescue in the first place?

You've had her evaluated by a knowledgeable and reputable rescue organization that says she's not adoptable because of aggression with "toys and such" Does "and such" mean she is aggressive with people, dogs, or what?

You need to be upfront and honest about this dog's behavior issues and not pass the problem on to someone else. I would think you would be liable, especially if there wasn't full disclosure of her behavior problems. Has she been evaluated by your veterinarian and a behaviorist?

I'm sorry for the difficult decision you must make. If the best solution is euthanasia wouldn't it be better for her to be in your arms instead of with a stranger? Please don't pass your problem on to someone else.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Barbara raises some valid questions. "Patience" and "Behavior Training" won't make much difference in a dog that's hard-wired toward aggression. Especially if someone's child gets in the way. I hope you'll pay attention to Barb's good advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barbara,

Thank you for your sound advice, it is very much appreciated. I gave up Daisy because I felt that I can't provide her with the attention that she so much deserves, at my home she is confined to her own space which has a dog door for her and my convenience to a large fenced in yard as I have two small children that wouldn't be able to push her down if she happend to jump up at them. I do know that Daisy is tempermental- One night I went to put her collar on her and she snarled at me, she has never bitten me or anyone for that matter but I do think that she is capable of it- I didn't force the issue of putting the collar on her for that fact AND I did inform the rescue of such when I was interviewed over the phone for Daisy to be placed in the foster home. From what I am told, while at her foster home she was ripping up a toy and the foster mom tried to take it away when Daisy apparently wouldn't give up the toy and was aggressive- I am not sure if she tried to bite the foster mom but that is what I am thinking. I am not trying to pass on a problem child, I just want her to have a good home and a chance to be a good girl. I contacted the trainer I sent Daisy to for basic obedience to see what she had to say about the issue and she said that aggressiveness in bassets is a horrible trait that comes from bad breeding! Maybe this is the case with Daisy maybe it was lack of training and socialization on my part in combination of bad timing to get her, I took the ladies word that she is a pure bred when I bought her 2years ago in MA. My heart is so full of love for Daisy so when the rescue phoned me and told me my options I chose the for the foster mom to put her down and not me, I know many ppl might think that is a cowardly thing to do but I know that I can't myself go and put her down, maybe I am being selfish? I just dont know what to do for her, I know that she isn't going to have the best life here but to end her life is that really what I should do?? I do appreciate the rescue and foster mom for giving her a chance and I would've never taken her there in good conscience if I didn't think that she wasn't adoptable. Thank you for your responses. Any and all advice is happily accepted.

Dawn

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is extremely hard to make a decision about Daisy or any animal where emotions are involved but I have gone over the options and spoke with the foster mom this evening and after speaking with her have made the decision to lay Daisy to rest. It is the best for everyone involved, sad to say, very sad.

Thank you Barb and Aruuuu for your inputs.

G

·
Dawn: Don't feel bad. You just made one of the hardest decisions you'll ever make, and the fairest one you could make for Daisy. She didn't deserve to be moved from place to place if people found they couldn't handle her. Daisy's safe where she's going. Thanks for trying to do your best for her.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Janet 'n Twinkie,

It was the hardest decision I believe I have ever had to make- Anyone that says it's remotly easy is a LIAR. I cried spuratically throughout the day- I just hope my sadness goes away and that Daisy is enjoying her new found freedom in heaven.

Thank you for your kind words,

Dawn

·
Registered
775 Posts
Dawn, I think you made a hard but wise decision and I just want you to know that you did all you could. We'll be thinking of you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts