Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is great! So funny and heartwarming. Thank you for sharing. I love the tips for a new puppy! If I had read them first, I would never have believed it, but now I just nod my head in agreement.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if anyone can give some insight on Dexter's (my 13 month old male basset) newly developed anxiety issue. Everytime my husband and I leave the house, he cries and howls. According to our neighbors- its has been constant for the past two or three weeks. He has been crate trained since we got him at 10 weeks old. He has never been loud or anxious, so not sure why he is starting now. I really dont want him to be upset all day, and I do not have the option of working from home everyday. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
my 13 month old male basset) newly developed anxiety issue
see Seperation Anxiety

Bassets in general are more social adept but at the same time more socially need than other breeds. You will find than many if not most basset owner have more than one or atleast another companion animal (not necisarily a dog) to keep it company when they are gone. This works in many but not all cases.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Kong Pet Products | Toys, Treats & Accessories | Dogs, Cats & Puppies

See" Extreme Kong for heavy chewers" on the linked page. This is not a cure for separtion anxiety, but it could help: give him a stuffed kong ONLY when you leave him- it will give him something to look forward to when you leave. You can stuff it with peanut butter, dog treats, carrots, etc.- it will occupy him for a long time.

You can find these at most pet supply stores- get the real Kong and not an imitation, because most bassets are strong chewers and Kongs are almost indestructable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts