Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link or a list of how much and how often I should be feeding a basset hound pup depending on his size and age?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I can tell you this, do not feed as much as they tell you on the bag of food or you will have an overweight dog, if he eats it all. I usually go 3-8 weeks puppies are fed 4 times a day I use about a cup per puppy adding water letting it soak and about 1/4 of canned food added and adjust as needed. 9-16 weeks old I feed 3 times a day,1 1/2 cups food per puppy per feeding ,still adding about1/2 can of canned food to entire mixture. Past four months of age I drop the food back to 1 cup dry to 1/2 can wet feeding twice daily per dog.They will be fed twice daily the rest of their lives but the food is modified to meet their needs,such as underweight,overweight,sick,etc. I'm sure there is a site of some sort ,but keep in mind you are feeding a dog that has nutritional needs different from other breeds because of the way they grow and because they are considered a large breed dog.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
The callorie count based on volume and/or weight vary widely so there can never be a on size fits all standardard, and this does not take into account the great disparity betwween metabolic rates of different individuals as well. I general recommend feed 25% less than the bags lowest amount and adujst based on the dogs body condition accordingly see links below . Keep in mind a large breed dog like a basset should be kept thin ie visible ribs, spine in order to prevent joint and orthopeadic problems as the puppy develops

Diet Do's and Dont's

corpulent canine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, thats very helpful. I wasn't even aware I was overfeeding him until he stayed in a kennel this weekend and the owner was shocked at how much food he got!
bubbad when you say a cup do you have any idea of a measurement?

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
a cup equals 8 fluid oz. fwiw. I feed a high protein high fat diet. 465 kcal cup as such mine get between 2/3 an 3/4 cup twice a day.

Metabolic Energy Requirements For Dogs (Dog Daily Calorie Calculator)

My fairly active agility dogs on the second calulator on the link fall on the senior/nutered /inavtice scale. I beleve this is true of most bassets because more of their weight is in bone not muscle mass which mean when compared to another breed of the same weight the have a lot more bone that requires virtually no calories and less muscle which requires a lot. hence why the feeding guidelines of bags of dog food tend to be considerable too high for basset hounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts