Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

Wesley is three years old and he's a very good eater. He eats whatever I put in front of him - he generally gets two dry meals a day, supplemented by a carrot and an apple here and there.

I had him on Eukanuba Large Breed Adult Lamb and Rice for a while, and he did well on it, but I was told that the kibble was a bit large, (he seems to just swallow instead of chewing), so I decided to try something more natural. Well, he has been on Dr's Foster and Smith Lamb & Brown Rice, which has much smaller kibble, but his stomach is just not doing very well on it. It's been a couple of months.

I guess most of this is dog-specific, but I am in a quandry. Should I go back to what worked, or is there a special food out there that I don't know about? I just got nervous when I was told the kibble was too big - feared he may choke.

To make matters more complicated, I receive my food via mail-order, so I generally can't experiment with small amounts.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Wesley's dad...

·
Registered
219 Posts
How about regular Eukanuba adult lamb and rice? Usually the large breed formula has larger kibble for larger dogs. If you still want to use a larger breed food, then I would suggest Purina, their large breed kibble seems just a bit bigger than normal kibble.

Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
We feed our bassets Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice for Large Breed Adults and they love it. Our vet recommended large breed food (they are large size dogs, they just have short legs). I don't know if you can order it online though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your tips. My concern is that the large breed formulas are more appropriate for bassets due to their content and nutritional ratios - not so much due to the kibble size.

I tried Nutro L&R as well - that didn't agree with him either, but it did come highly recommended.

I just worry that if the kibble is too large it may expand in his stomach and cause bloat, or some other problem. I'm probably being too worrysome.

I guess I'll go back to what worked. I appreciate your help - if anyone else has any advice, I'd welcome it!

Regards,
Wes' Dad...

A

·
0 Posts
I like pork chops and ribeyes and country style ribs and salad andan occasional pickle with some ice cream. General[/img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/fishnhotwater/icanfly.jpg

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
the best advice is use what works for your dogs.

FWIW the kibble size of the large breed is made that way so the dog has to chew it. Thereby gaining the benefits of the dental cleaning.

Personnally I feed eujananuba Premium Performance large breed. It is quit a bit higher in calories so you feed less and the blance of protein and fat is much higher which is better for active dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
food

hi our doggie can only eat wellness by old mother hubbard it comes in puppy and adult and senior he has problems with any other brands this brand is all natural no wheat or eggs for doggies with stomach issues .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts