Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since we've had Fred we've had issues with her poop not being good. We have tried TOTW, Burns, Diamond and another brand which escapes me at current moment. We mix in a spoon of yogurt or pumpkin.

Anyways we decided to try to put the dogs on the same food and Solid Gold hund-n-flocken seemed like a good choice. Well dummy me accidentally grabbed wolfcub so I started feeding her that and within 2 days her poop was firm and perfect. Towards the end of the first bag it started to get loose again, I thought maybe she was eating too much so I backed off on the amount and no change. We are now on bag #2 and poop is back to being soft and also a light color.

Took a sample to vets and they couldn't find anything. We're keeping up on the SG but this whole issue is starting to worry us.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
boy you gotta be a VERY special person to be a vet.
"Took a sample to the vets..."
I can think of better presents for people to bring hahahaha

I wish I had some insight into the poop stuff. but I just now stopped EATING mine so you prolly don't wanna know from me but I hope it gets better soon!
woofles,

esther

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boy you gotta be a VERY special person to be a vet.
"Took a sample to the vets..."
I can think of better presents for people to bring hahahaha

I wish I had some insight into the poop stuff. but I just now stopped EATING mine so you prolly don't wanna know from me but I hope it gets better soon!
woofles,

esther
haha, yeah i feel bad stopping in with the "presents". Fred did eat poop but we started giving her pineapple and she stopped.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You may also consider what type of treats you're giving your hound. They might be causing the food allergy/ runny poo. I know when mine was little he couldn't eat rawhides because they upset his tummy too much.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Towards the end of the first bag it started to get loose again ... Took a sample to vets and they couldn't find anything

Did the vet do the testing in house, if so it is easy to miss some of the spore based parisites like giardia which will cause untemittent and varriable problems.

Giardia
In the rare cases in which disease occurs, younger animals are usually affected, and the usual sign is diarrhea. The diarrhea may be acute, intermittent, or chronic. Usually the infected animals will not lose their appetite, but they may lose weight. The feces are often abnormal, being pale, having a bad odor, and appearing greasy.

Giardiasis is very difficult to diagnose because the protozoa are so small and are not passed with every stool. Tests on serial stool samples (one stool sample every day for three days) are often required to find the organism. Special diagnostic procedures, beyond a routine fecal examination, are necessary to identify Giardia. The procedures we use to identify roundworms and hookworms kill the active form of Giardia and concentrate the cyst form.

In spring, 2004, a diagnostic test using ELISA technology became available. This test uses a very small fecal sample, and can be performed in 8 minutes in a veterinarian's office. It is much more accurate than a fecal examination.

Detection of Parasitic Infections by Fecal Examination

Cryptosporidium

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm guessing they were tested in house i dropped it off in the morning they called back in the afternoon. We have done treatment for giardia, we treated her with safeguard for 5 days then treated her again 3 weeks later.

as for treats we only give her her kibbles, and she only has nylabones or antlers to chew on.

I never heard of freezing the samples I was always told bring a fresh sample in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts