Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few days ago I took Marley to the vet because he had loose stool. The vet gave him a shot and some pills for 10 days. I will get exact names of the meds when I get home. Also the vet told me to feed him the Hills Prescription Diet G/I health (i/d). Well is been afew days and his stool got better. So yesterday I began to mix in the food he was on originally EVO weight management and today his stool was runny again. I began to read the ingredients of the food and they are not all that good.

I went to my local pet store and was told about the California Naturals food. The lady told me they have 2 grain free foods. 1 is a venison meal formula and the other Lamb meal formula both grain free. I was wondering if anyone had fed any of thsese foods to their hound.

Sory for the long story, any input is greatly appreciated, thanks on advance!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Woofus gets a mix of home cooked diet with a little kibble (to keep him acclimated). The kibble we use is California Natural. But unfortunately Proctor and Gamble bought them out (they now own EVO, Innova, California Natural, Healthwise, MotherNature, and Karma). I refuse to buy from them, so I'm going to switch. They've bought out other pet foods and completely changed the formula. I am now switching to Lotus duck formula. Whatever you choose, I would keep the protein levels down to about 25%-27%. I think EVO is too high for protein. Good luck on the hunt :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woofus gets a mix of home cooked diet with a little kibble (to keep him acclimated). The kibble we use is California Natural. But unfortunately Proctor and Gamble bought them out (they now own EVO, Innova, California Natural, Healthwise, MotherNature, and Karma). I refuse to buy from them, so I'm going to switch. They've bought out other pet foods and completely changed the formula. I am now switching to Lotus duck formula. Whatever you choose, I would keep the protein levels down to about 25%-27%. I think EVO is too high for protein. Good luck on the hunt :)
Thank you. I was not aware that Proctor and gamble bought those foods. I will definitely look for other food. I tried looking online for the Lotus duck formula vut did not find much. Can you please send me a link where I could find it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe it is, as well that they bake their food which to me is healthier. I know others use Taste of the Wild as well. I'm sure others will chime in on their opinions. Also it's up to Marley on if he even likes it ;)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I would keep the protein levels down to about 25%-27%. I think EVO is too high for protein
Based on what? FWIW in an adult I personally would not feed a dog food that was less than 30% protein or less than 20% fat. But I have perfromance dogs. Higher protein levels have been shown to reduce soft tissue injuries and Fat is a much better energy source for dogs than carbs. It is vertually impossible to find a high fat lower protein diet so I would opt for high fat and go with whatever the protein level is.

EVO weight management and today his stool was runny again. I began to read the ingredients of the food and they are not all that good.
Personally I would avoid just about every weight management food on the market. The only one I have ever fould close to acceptable is Royal canine as it is a high protein diet. Again studies show a high protein low calorie diet far better for weight control in dogs than the typical high carb diets of pet food manufactures use in weight management diets. A high protein high fibre diet improves weight loss in obese dogs

Should we decrease the protein level in the diet of an ageing dog?

An old study pointed out the fact that 10-12 years old dogs require more proteins than 1-2 years old dogs to restore a normal level of proteins in the body, after a period of deficiency(Wannemacher, 1966). This suggest that proteic requirements of ageing dogs could be higher.
The survival rate of senior healthy dogs seems to be higher with high-protein diets (Finco et coll,1992).
Protido-caloric malnutrition, even moderate, can disturb the immunitary response (Laflamme, 1997).
In 7 – 9 years old dogs, the muscular mass is better preserved with a high protein diet (46 %) rather than with a low-protein diet (16 %) (Kealy, 1998).
Mythology of Protein Restriction for Dogs with Reduced Renal Function

FEEDING THE HIGH PERFORMANCE BIRD DOG
After explaining what and why I feed what I do it should have relatively little effect on what you feed. It is quite simple. What works for one dog under a specific set of circumstance will not work for another under the same or different circustances. You need to find what works for your dog. When Changing food buy the smallest bag possible and see how the dog does. Keep in mind if there is a big change in the ingredients and the percentage of the ingredients with a dog that has been fed a single food for a prolonged period if time it is going to cause GI distress if not slowly introduce. If the dog is fed a highly varried diet it can ajust to change more easily. I would caution about getting to caught up in ingredient list etc most of it is more marketing than having any nutritional basis, once you get past the first few ingredients the amount actual in the back ars so small as to have zero to negligable impact and most of what you read on the net about the danger of grain etc is just that myth with no bais in fact.

the best single article on dog nutrition on the webDog Foods
Help in making the choice easier

My dogs tend to do better on what I consider medium grade foods. Not the best/priciest stuff (Innova, California Natural, Canidae) but not the really cheap stuff either (Hi-Pro, Dog Chow). Remember price has nothing to do with what might work for your dog. Just because a food is listed in a magazine as their 10 best, doesn't mean its better than another food that isn't listed. They do no testing of the food, they base their opinions on the ingredients. My dogs have not done well on any of those foods. Think for yourself and don't get brainwashed into thinking you are a horrible pet owner if you don't buy these foods for your dog.

...Remember, what works for my dogs or anyone else's dog might not work for yours. Buy the smallest bag you can find of what you want to start trying and if the dog doesn't eat it or you don't like the results, then you aren't out much and you can donate the rest to a shelter. I swear this last year I have to have donated more food that didn't work out with my dogs to shelters than anyone else in my county. (laughs)

... tried most if not all of the foods listed in a certain magazine as being the 10 best (based on ingredients - not testing). I felt guilty for feeding a food that can be found in most pet food stores. I felt guilty unless I did the best I could for my dogs which meant feeding an expensive dog food. I also spent hundreds of dollars trying to get my dogs back into shape afterwards. For the most part, feeding these foods was a disaster for my dogs. I learned my lesson.

...I feed what works for my dogs! Whether that's Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Diamond or whatever. This is my advice for you. FEED WHAT WORKS!!! Don't let anyone guilt you into or suck you into buying a food based on a magazine's 10 best foods or prejudice towards certain dog food companies. If it works for your dog, then feed it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
But unfortunately Proctor and Gamble bought them out (they now own EVO, Innova, California Natural, Healthwise, MotherNature, and Karma). I refuse to buy from them, so I'm going to switch.
Too each their own but I personally would prefer to buy from a dog food manufacture that 1. actual owns ther own production facilities than subs out that basic function.

2. actual test and conducts basic research on dog nutrition rather than simply adds another marketing guy to the staff.

I feed P&G products on occasion in additon to high end dog food that are sold by companies that do not actual produce it. I think one of the biggest fallicies promoted almost univerally by the entire industry is "complete and balanced" There is simply not enough know about dog nutrition to make such a claim based on a six month feeding trial I much prefer to switch up brands, manufacture and ingredients to get a more diverse diet as is general recommend by human nutritionest to compensate for a lack of knowledge and to make sure nothing get to out of wack.

If you are more interestent in the marketing games and boogie man ingredients in the dog food marketing game see Learn check out all the articles in pet food myths and controversies

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for this valuable info. I will deffinetly take a closer look at all the different foods and see what works for Marley.

·
Registered
70 Posts
we use infinia grain free turkey and sweet potato. This seems to sit well with Fred. She was on diamond puppy when we got her and we switched her to burns puppy which she loved, but did not love her back. We tried TOTW but it was too far to drive and often didn't have her flavor in stock, or had it in a bag much larger than I needed.

Infinia works great for Fred no more itching, EVERYONE comments on how soft she is, her poop is considerably better (only has the runs when we go to the dog park for some reason). We're going to stick with this unless we're forced to change. I go by what my dog does good on, you can buy the most expensive food on the market but what good does it do if your dog doesn't do well on it?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Moses switched to Blue Buffalo a while ago, just the standard formula, but he loves it and his coat is much softer and he sheds significantly less since the switch and isn't scratching like crazy either. Also, the higher quality food has improved his, er... Output. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts