Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, need some advice.

So we have two dogs. Our basset, Whiskey who is now 5 months old and our 7 year old pug, Willow.

It takes Willow a lot longer to eat because she has a short muzzle. Whiskey (as you all probably know) eats her food faster than anything. It takes Whiskey less than five minutes to eat what takes Willow about fifteen to twenty minutes.

Every morning I feed them and once Whiskey is done with her food, she jumps right over and pushes Willow out of the way and starts to eat her food too. I try to stop her but sometimes it's hard. A lot of the times they get into fights.

Everyone says I should just feed them in separate rooms or even feed Willow while she's still in her crate. But I don't want to avoid the situation, I want to put a stop to it, you know? I don't want this to happen when let's say we go on vacation and they stay with my inlaws. Or anytime we might want to give them a treat or something.

Will feeding them separately still help? Are there ways of slowing down Whiskey's eating? (Maybe even so that she tastes it? LOL) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
they gave me a slow feed bowl because i ate so fast i puked.

i still puke but not everytime i eat like before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Bassets do the same. I have a minpin and a terrier. As soon as they finish they immediately go after the other dogs food. It's a Basset thing as far as I can tell. We started feeding them in separate rooms for the time being. Its funny now to watch them immediately upon finishing their food go running looking for the other dogs food only to find a closed door.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am waiting for an answer to this one myself..I have a 10+yrs inherited chihauha and 5 month ole Basset Woody.....we have the same issues...I was feeding Victor (the older dog) on the couch so he was out of immediate reach....last evening though I feed them both at their respective eating areas (opposite ends of the kitchen) and waited for Woody to finish...then I stopped him about a foot from Victor..knelt down and soothed him with words and petting and letting him know that when the dish was abandoned he could inspect it...it seemed to work and calmed Woody's frantic attack of the dish..not sure if it wil work in the long run...but it eased everyone last evening...like I said, I am very interested in a solution..:cool:

Woody and Victors Mom

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Adding something stick to the meal like pumpkin or squash and making sure the kibble is enbeded in to will slow the dog down. maybe 50% slower but it won;t gain the time you need.

The reason whiskey goes to the other bowl is because it works. Inorder to stop the behavior it 1. needs to stop working and 2. a more appropriate behavior needs to work better.

so feeding in seperate areas different rooms. in the crate. and keep in mind it does not necessarly need to be the slow eater fed in the crate feeding the fast eater in the crate is just as effective.

2 is to make it more rewarding to stay and their individual bowl. The way to do this is to first reduce the amount wiskey is fed at meal time and hold it aside. As soon as she finishes eating drop 1 or two piece in the bowl. then another and so on. Over time increase the amount of time she needs to wait. until she will wait at her bowl for I treat when the other dog finshishs. This type of training takes months a minimium with year(s) being more typical before it is reliable. Management is much faster to show results and even during training of an alternate behavior you still must practice the management to prevent the dog from being rewarded for inappropriate behavior. So the question is is the time require to train the alternte behavior worth the amount of work. No one but you can answer that question but for many it is not.

You will also find when feeding seperate the dog get accustom to the routine and glady accept their place to be fed and go to it virtually automatically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My situation is quite opposite, my 5 year old basset will have to whine and wait for the chihuahuas to finish eating before they will let him eat. Even if i put out separate bowls, the chihuahuas will dominate both. He is terrified of them both.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We feed ours in separate rooms as well. We don't have to close the door anymore because one time when Virga went to inspect Doppler's bowl while he was still eating, he growled and snapped at her. He didn't touch her and she hasn't pushed his limit again. Now she lays down a respectful distance while he's eating and inspects his bowl after he's done. And Doppler goes to check her bowl at the same time.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly and Winston are fed separately for the same reason. Sometimes it works and other times they won't eat because they are looking for each other. In the week that they've been together, they do everything as a pair. Winston dominates the food and he will overeat if he has access to Molly's food. Molly eats slower and is more deliberate than he is. We're still working on getting this right too.

Berkley, I had to laugh. Molly has always been intimidated by Chihuahuas too. Isn't that crazy?

·
Registered
25 Posts
He's afraid of everything, frogs, dogs, puppies, lawn mowers, vaccuums, even floor fans. Its hillarious to watch him hide from my cousins beagle puppies.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle sits behind Harley while he eats and waits patiently for him to walk away before going in for whatever is leftover. It is one behavior she picked up as a stray that's actually desirable.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ha ha... i'm afraid of some chihuahuas too, so i don't blame your bassets...!

Laughing at the list of things Berkley's afraid of, and I can list the things Worm's afraid of too: vaccuum cleaners, mops, wastebaskets (once), balloons that are waving around in the air, rocks that are as big as him (barked at one that was in fron of the grocery store)... all so scary :eek:

ah, but he loooooves the vet and going to the vet's office-- what a weird dog!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I feed Annie and my parent's JRT at the same time. As you can imagine, Annie is able to throw her weight around a bit and could move the JRT off her bowl pretty easily. But she doesn't. She finishes her food and sits and waits patiently for Zoey (JRT) to finish so that she can make sure nothing goes to waste. This wasn't always the case. It has taken a few months of verbal reminders while they eat in order for Annie to understand that she can lick the other bowl, but she must wait. To top it off, Zoey recently had 30 teeth removed from her mouth, leaving only 4 left. So this makes her take even longer.

I also have started setting Zoey's bowl down before I set Annie's down. We also work on sitting and waiting patiently while I set the bowl down and then give her an "OK" command to go eat. This gives little Zoey a head start on the meal. And it cracks me up at the puddle of drool under Annie's mouth while she waits patiently for her command LOL.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My Bassets do the same. I have a minpin and a terrier. As soon as they finish they immediately go after the other dogs food. It's a Basset thing as far as I can tell. We started feeding them in separate rooms for the time being. Its funny now to watch them immediately upon finishing their food go running looking for the other dogs food only to find a closed door.
Ours do the same... Lottie always bolts down her food while Lucie eats like a lady so I often put a plastic tennis ball in Lottie's food and it takes her longer to eat it as the ball keeps moving around. I can't understand why she doesn't lift the ball out of the bowl... not quite bright enough I guess!!!

I give Lottie her food just after Lucie but she still finishes first, so I stand between them because Lucie would just let Lottie eat hers as they never fight over food (probably because they got used to sharing from being born) and can even lick out of a yoghurt pot together or share an margarine tub without squabbling!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My basset, Bobbi, does the same but only with the less aggressive dog. I started feeding them seperate. I noticed Bobbi does not fight when we give them snacks but is quick to jump over anyone just for that small piece.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would definitley say getting a slow eating bowl. When Ella was a pup she would eat SUPER fast and our vet said to put a tennis ball or something in her bowl so that she would have to work around it to get the food. Or you could feed the fast eater out of a treat toy like a kong or something, where they have work to get the food out, that would make it take longer as well.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
hi worm.
we eat out of the same kinda dish.
btw check out my comment on your album pic of you in the cabinet.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Boomer-- only 1 size was available at our local pet store, so that's what i got. my food just fits in it. so maybe if i had a choice, i'd go one size up. on the other hand, then we don't end up overfeeding, maybe a good thing. esther, how much would you say the bowl holds... maybe 1 1/2-2 cups of food....?

Esther-- yes, I remember from one of your first threads and how you used to barf up your food and water... see i pay attention to you!!! but sad not to see you in the swimsuit edition.

hahahaha
sorry, didn't see the comment before so glad you told me... my human didn't know that quote or the movie, but found it on youtube

she laughed her head off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts