Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about Miss Cleo. She is getting more exercise with us than she ever used to. She's losing weight which isn't really bad, but it is becoming a bit more than we would like. She gets a 15 minute walk in the morning and a half hour walk and play time at night. Is this too much? She eats 2 meals a day, about a 1 1/4 cup each. I don't want her to shrink away into just ears! :blink:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Well, what does the vet say? Each dog is different, like each human is different. My 2 year old girl is 65 lbs (and the vet is perfectly happy with her weight), but she exercises a lot and seems "muscular".

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
32 pounds does "sound" thin to me. Can you post a photo of her that shows her shape?? My Stickers is 2 1/2 years old and weighs 47. We walk a full 2 miles daily and they also run & play in the yard. So that's now excessive walking to me. Stickers eat 1 cup in the morning and 1 1/4 cups in the evening. Only 2 biscuits a day. I think each dog is different. You may need to increase her food if she is taking off too much weight. My Veternarian has been very helpful guiding me as to how much to feed. My Rusty was getting heavier than I liked, 54 pounds. The Vet told me how much to feed and he is now 50 pounds! Post pictures if you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take some photos tonight. She's lost weight since we took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago to have her nails clipped. Her appetite is great, her energy is fine, she's hydrated and seems quite alright. That is what led me to believe it might be excessive exercise since she had had virtually none before she came to us. The vet thought 32 lbs. was perfect for her then, which is why when she started losing, I started growing concerned.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I feed my girls 3 cups of food a day. Plus some treats here and there. If they are putting on weight I give them really small treats! It keeps their weight fairly constant. They get exercise about 3 times a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts